Can you make multiple planning applications at once?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you have several ideas for a rear extension, but feel that some may be a riskier choice than others, can you apply for several at once and see what sticks? Or is it best to apply simple, then apply for the more adventurous design, or do it the other way round?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
OK. So, for my house I got a 5m wide by 4.5m deep rear extension no problem.
I am hoping to move into a similar house in the same area. I want to do a better, more adventurous extension, that might be in the region of 6.5m wide and 5m deep on one side, and 6.5m deep on the other (latest idea attached), or a diagonal wall (also attached and discussed in another thread). Both of these will connect to a garage, which is only used for storage. The garage will be converted to something, ideally gym/office, but if that is considered habitable space, maybe just a bigger gym. The house is detached and the neighbours won't be affected (other side of garage won't really see it, other than a bit of the roof from their upstairs bedrooms, and other neighour has their own single story extension that goes out about 4m, but there will be a gap of around 1m from the fence border (for my access down side of house). Overhead view also attached - my house in the middle, will replace the conservatory with extension. It would have a lowish roof. The left neighbour is to the west, so will have almost no effect on light - especially as shrubs on the border are currently as tall as it will be - it might possible block a little sunrise light in the height of summer (actually, scrap that, the garage roof will block that morning light anyway).

Attachments

• Extension plan B.png
    Extension plan B.png
    33.1 KB · Views: 166
  • Extension plan C.png
    Extension plan C.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 174
  • Extension plan D.png
    Extension plan D.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 191
  • neighouring houses.png
    neighouring houses.png
    253 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Personally Iwould advise going for your 1st choice -submit and follow up with dialogue with officer dealing with it -dont leave it just "going through the process" You could even take a sketch in and see the DC officer for your area and show him your "intentions "before paying the full mandatory fee (though some/many councils now charge for prelim discussions). You would then get an initial reaction to what you WANT to do and maybe reach a compromise that suits both parties You can submit variations - but each would incur the relevant fee and probably muddy the waters with the variations .If you do as I suggest and the officer is reasonable you will see how the wind`s blowing and you could amend accordingly working from your preferred scheme to your less preferred until you meet in the middle Hope you get my point but any queries re-post

Bloody hell you're lucky if you can even speak with a duty officer nowadays with some LA's! There are some down here who will only speak with the applicant or you have to book them to ring you back, let alone meeting up with them, which unless you submit pretty much a complete planning app they'll just give you a one sentence response, take 6 weeks to do it and charge you £75! Bunch of idiots!

Last edited:
Why would you want to make multiple applications and pay multiple fees?

The application should meet the local planning criteria, and design guides. Its that simple. Apply for what you want that meets the criteria.

If anyone is submitting applications for you, then they should know this, and know that its not a case of blindly throwing darts hoping that one hits the bullseye.

Why would you want to make multiple applications and pay multiple fees?

The application should meet the local planning criteria, and design guides. Its that simple. Apply for what you want that meets the criteria.

If anyone is submitting applications for you, then they should know this, and know that its not a case of blindly throwing darts hoping that one hits the bullseye.

Agree with this- If the worst comes to the worst don't forget that you can always re-submit after any refusal (within 12 months of the decision date) without payment of a fee (you could actually re-submit an alternative scheme, whilst also appealing against the refusal on the original scheme at the same time)

Bloody hell you're lucky if you can even speak with a duty officer nowadays with some LA's! There are some down here who will only speak with the applicant or you have to book them to ring you back, let alone meeting up with them, which unless you submit pretty much a complete planning app they'll just give you a one sentence response, take 6 weeks to do it and charge you £75! Bunch of idiots!

Oh dear, someone's obviously had a bad experience! Many LA's are charging for pre-application advice it is true, but it's largely because they've been driven to it by government cuts. My LA has had nearly 60% funding cuts in the last six years, so it's not surprising. Central government measures their performance purely on what % of applications they can process within set timeframes, so it's not surprising that this is what they have to prioritise.

That makes sense. When they reject, do they specify why? e.g. "cannot go into the garage" or "too deep"? I assume they don't leave you guessing, and just need to rectify the part they do not like?

There are something like 50 standard planning phrases which they use to explain their tenuous subjective opinions on refusal.

They tell you alright, but you are still non the wiser.

But in practice, you follow the application and regularly talk with the planner to see what's going on. And you should be confident that the application submitted meets the planning policies in the first place.

Central government measures their performance purely on what % of applications they can process within set timeframes,

Meh, if they didn't subsequently game the system to encourage withdrawals,to the detriment of the applicants, it'd be possible to have more sympathy...

That makes sense. When they reject, do they specify why? e.g. "cannot go into the garage" or "too deep"? I assume they don't leave you guessing, and just need to rectify the part they do not like?

Planning decisions are a matter of public record. It is highly likely your local council will have a dedicated website section for all local planning applications; find it, find applications locally for things similar to what you want to do and read them.. Approvals or refusals, it will give you an idea of what they want, how they interpret local policy and how to approach yours

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back