Can you 're-do' compresion joints?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some of the rad valves in my house are leaking from the valve body under the adjustment cap. I've tried tightening them up etc but they still leak. I want to replace them with new valves and/or rad stats etc.

BUT

THe 10mm micro bore that feeds them comes out of the wall at a 45 degree angle very close to the valve leaving no possibility to cut the pipe back and put a new olive on without wrecking all my wallpaper and plaster to dig out the pipe and put a new piece in - no thanks.

If I replace the valve, is there a technique that will allow me to re-use the existing olive without it leaking?

Sponsored Links
just pull the olive and replace it

its probably someone over tightening the olive that eventually shaggged it anyway

is it a plaster wall? as it may be nescessary to bosh into it to remake the joint

;)

can re-use nut and olive providing it's not been over tightened or the olive crushed many a times you change parts and re-use the olive and nut.

Often with microbore the olive has been mullered onto the pipe, however, wrapping a few turns of PTFE tape around the olive will usually do the trick.

Sponsored Links
I see.

I thought that once the olive had been tightened, it work hardened and therefore would never be 'soft' enough to 're-mould' to a different valve body?

You say 'remove' the olive? How? - It's innder diameter is now smaller than the pie either side of it where it has been tightened.

How would you remove it?

you cant remove the olive sorry!! thats the design of this damm things once on you cant get them off unless you cut the pipe. Try using ptf tape as suggested this may work. Alternativley cut the pipe right next to the olive then buy some push fit fiitings you can buy them in 10mm from screw fix or B&Q & all you will have to do is push on to the pipe and it will lock, you could feed it into the wall & it will lock

Are these available in 10mm micro bore?

Don't supose you 've got a screwfix link so I know what I'm looking for?

Thanks

Nice one - good stuff.

Shame they don't do push fit 10mm rad valves too!

Or do they?

Are rad tats worth having and what / where are the best quality?

No I dont think they do mate!! but you can always ask at screwfix or look through the catouloge!! the push fit will sort that olive problem for you!! hope you get it sorted!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back