Can you remodel 4 linked garages into 3 linked garages ? Costs of this versus new build ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a flat in a small development of 12 properties, each of which has an allocated garage.

The problem is that the garages were designed in the 1970s for 1960s size cars and as such, modern cars no longer fit.

This might not be such an issue except that we need to provide electric car charging and as some garage blocks are at 90 degrees to other blocks, you cannot park in front of your own garage as you block access to someone else's garage and thus, you cannot charge your car from that position.

However, there is lots of land. So one question is what would be the cost to build 4 x 3 wide garages.

The second question is whether we could use the existing 3 x 4 garages and convert them into 3 x 3 garages, needing then to only build 1 x 3 garage. I suspect the internal walls are supporting but is is cheaper to adapt or replace ?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I bought a flat in a small development of 12 properties, each of which has an allocated garage.

The problem is that the garages were designed in the 1970s for 1960s size cars and as such, modern cars no longer fit.

This might not be such an issue except that we need to provide electric car charging and as some garage blocks are at 90 degrees to other blocks, you cannot park in front of your own garage as you block access to someone else's garage and thus, you cannot charge your car from that position.

However, there is lots of land. So one question is what would be the cost to build 4 x 3 wide garages.

The second question is whether we could use the existing 3 x 4 garages and convert them into 3 x 3 garages, needing then to only build 1 x 3 garage. I suspect the internal walls are supporting but is is cheaper to adapt or replace ?
...I'm seeing a drawing....with measurements...and wait...a specification...and sizes...the lie of the land...logistics...

No sorry, the image has gone, lol. Even if you put the drawings up on here, I doubt a willing Surveyor is going to spend a few hours costing your (quite large) project for free. I suggest you put some of that money you have in order to be able to buy a block of flats, to good use. (y)

I'm guessing he owns 1 flat and is sounding it out with co owners. If there's lots of land then a second set of garages/covered parking and charging area is worth considering. I'm sure the existing garages are well packed with essential junk.

"I bought a flat" and then "We need to provide electric charging"? Are you a tenant or the scheme owner?

If a tenant, costs, or even the viability are for the landlord/owner to consider.

Sponsored Links
However, there is lots of land. So one question is what would be the cost to build 4 x 3 wide garages

How much would each flat owner be prepared to fork out?

If your proposed scheme cost say £100k that’s around £8k each.

You need to speak with the local planning authority first, I think you will told not possible and the spare land then marked for house building. How many of the existing residents use their existing garages for Cars?

...I'm seeing a drawing....with measurements...and wait...a specification...and sizes...the lie of the land...logistics...

No sorry, the image has gone, lol. Even if you put the drawings up on here, I doubt a willing Surveyor is going to spend a few hours costing your (quite large) project for free. I suggest you put some of that money you have in order to be able to buy a block of flats, to good use. (y)

Maybe Specsavers would help you as I bought one flat, not the entire block. The reference was simply for scale.

We're not asking for surveyors drawings yet, just a guy on a forum asking others whether anyone had experience of converting a 4 units garage into a 3 unit garage or whether it might make more sense to know them down and start again.
Maybe if you have nothing useful to add you just scroll past - or maybe your 46,773 previous posts suggests you cannot just scroll by :)

I'm guessing he owns 1 flat and is sounding it out with co owners. If there's lots of land then a second set of garages/covered parking and charging area is worth considering. I'm sure the existing garages are well packed with essential junk.
Yeah, that is where we are. 3+ acres of land and a car park overflowing because people cannot put their cars in the garages. We have a lot of storage so garages full of junk are not the majority !

"I bought a flat" and then "We need to provide electric charging"? Are you a tenant or the scheme owner?

If a tenant, costs, or even the viability are for the landlord/owner to consider.
Owner of one flat, the collective "we" relates to the 12 flats in general.

Shared freehold etc.

How much would each flat owner be prepared to fork out?

If your proposed scheme cost say £100k that’s around £8k each.
Flats worth £450k to £600k each.

By Google / back of fag packet maths came up with a potential £10-20k each property. Even at £20k, it would be less than 5% of property value and I think values will be hit by a lack of car charging options and modernising garages would also add value.

If the management company could borrow a significant proportion, it could be repaid through service charges over say 10 years.

You don’t need a garage to charge a car just charge points.
If you want one, then yes, but if you want to be able for each flat to charge two cars then you cannot have 24 charging points.

Also, we could have 3 phase in the garages offering much faster charging.

Adding the garage option is a win win scenario but it does offer a decent option for introducing the car charging solution.

You need to speak with the local planning authority first, I think you will told not possible and the spare land then marked for house building. How many of the existing residents use their existing garages for Cars?
We have 3+ acres of land, not land for councils to demand housing on.

In any case, all 3 existing blocks would be reused and only 1 more block installed on already cleared land.

If you want one, then yes, but if you want to be able for each flat to charge two cars then you cannot have 24 charging points.

Also, we could have 3 phase in the garages offering much faster charging.

Adding the garage option is a win win scenario but it does offer a decent option for introducing the car charging solution.
So you want 24 charge points?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back