can you use 2 boilers from the same gas supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mates son has a house which has had a boiler fitted not that many years ago.he is going to be having an extension built quite a big one and they have told him that the boiler he has got wont be powerfull enough for the extra rads that are going to be fitted.instead of buying a super doopa boiler can he run the system from 2 boilers running off the same gas supply, as he wants to keep the one hes got as its not old and get another one the same to due the same job as the super dooper one or would he have to have a separate gas supply.

Also another friends hot tap gets water hammer when the hot is running alone but as soon as she adds cold it stops,what can the problem be,.oh it only happens on the hot in the kitchen and not anywhere else in the house.it is a combi boiler and she says the hot at the kitchen tap is much hotter than the one upstairs.

thank you your imput would be much appreciated.

thank you.

Sponsored Links
Yes he can if the pipe and meter is large enough.

Be very careful with extensions, it doesn't by any means warrant a bigger boiler, in fact if the insulation etc is to current standards and an improvement on the existing the old boiler may well be large enough.

You need to do some sums or get an RGI that doesn't have £ sings in his eyes.

Please be very carefull if installing an additionall boiler as the calculations about the gas supply can be very complex this is not a thing that a competent DIY enthusiast can legally do adding an addittional boiler could make the existing system extremely dangerous if all appliances were to call for max input at the same time

Please be very carefull if installing an additionall boiler as the calculations about the gas supply can be very complex this is not a thing that a competent DIY enthusiast can legally do adding an addittional boiler could make the existing system extremely dangerous if all appliances were to call for max input at the same time

And fitting 2, 3 or even 6 and more boilers on the same system is common practice in larger properties.

The OP asked whether it could be done, the answer is as I said, Yes it can, if the meter and pipework is large enough. Add to that it's quite common practice.

Sponsored Links
Really sorry Doitall didnt mean to suggest you were wrong in any way with your advice was just advising that its a complex calculation and that only a compotent gas engineer can advise on its not a DIY thing that can be advised on

I certainly wouldn't try to advise on how to do it.

if the guy/gal is registered he/she can join the CC.

Came accross one recently that when the existing boiler and the new addittionall boiler fired that the rings on the existing hob went out these calculations need a qualified gas engineer to asess its not an answer we can give on here

We wouldn't be allowed to and it would soon be removed if we did.

Agreed mate we are singing from the same Hymsheet sorry if it seemed different

Really sorry Doitall didnt mean to suggest you were wrong in any way with your advice was just advising that its a complex calculation and that only a compotent gas engineer can advise on its not a DIY thing that can be advised on

This is usually a builder's con to suggest someone needs a new boiler with an extension.

In many cases with a loft conversion the actual heat loss goes DOWN when the conversion is made because of the up to date better insulation.

Without knowing the actual boiler power or heat loss we cannot be definitive but its most unlikely that a second or larger boiler will be required just for the heating!

I wonder if I am compotent?

Tony

really sorry Ratman my colleague and myself got a bit sidetracked there but the answer to your question is yes it is possible but in no way an easy calculation please consult a registered Gas Engineer in this case I would recommend an engineer with commerciall qualifications to properly calculate your reuirements good luck Ian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back