Can you walk off a job???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This may be a controversial topic but i was wondering if any trade professionals could give me advice.

I am in the process of having a bathroom fitted and me and the firm i employed have had a disagreement over some technical aspects of the work. as a result the firm has indicated that if i am not more reasonable they might pull their men and walk off the job.

is this legal to leave the job unfinished, i signed no contracts, and if they do can they demmand money from me for a project unfinished?

Sponsored Links
If you've badly messed up your relationship with 'the workers' then you need to prepare to see them go! With no real contract and (apparently) no obvious problem with the QUALITY of work done, you've put yourself in a very weak position.
Step back and look objectively.
You've agreed (orally) with some firm for them to provide a new bathroom. They're applying THEIR standards and practices, which you were presumably happy with at the start.
You don't like what they're doing BUT it's THEIR job not yours! You're not really in a position to criticise anything until they hand it over as complete, UNLESS your agreement with them included defined stage payments, etc.
What are the consequences of letting them get on with it, without interference? Things that are really seriously wrong but not rectifiable later? Or are you nit-picking?
You'll need to mend fences OR agree to pay for materials and work completed so far, and get someone else to finish it. Finding anyone else to pick up the job half-way might be tricky! If YOU try to walk away without paying, they have EVERY right to take you to Court (and maybe get the money for the WHOLE job!!).

It all depends on the cause of the disagreement which you have not bothered to explain to us.

Certainly they can stop working if they choose to and they can claim payment for the work done to date.

I appreciate that there are some firms that do a very poor standard of work and they are unlikely to be members of the Institute who have a complaints procedure.

Unfortunately as you seem to think that you can force them to walk out and that you dont need to pay them for the work they have done so far that makes you appear like a cowboy customer who wants work done but you just dont want to pay.

You should have insisted on a written quotation detailing the way the work was to be done and the firm should have insisted that you signed the quotation as accepted before starting.

It will also be more difficult for you to get anyone to finish the work as you will have been tagged as a non paying customer who wants something for nothing.

Tony

Without knowing any detail, it’s difficult to asses if you’re being unreasonable but you are entitled to expect a reasonable quality of workmanship & that the installation complies with current building regulations. They are entitled to be paid for the cost of the hardware/materials (which presumable they will leave behind) & the cost of any work carried out to an acceptable standard but not for shoddy workmanship or damaged goods which you will have to pay to have put right; if fact you could even make a claim from them for that!

I had 3 months of work done on my property a couple of years ago, I had a specification for the materials & standard of workmanship, a signed contract & payment schedule but we still had a few disagreements, they are usually inevitable if you’re having a lot of work done. They were always resolved amicably with the company’s project manager in the end & the trick is always try to be reasonable, polite & don’t loose your temper; try asking point blank if he would accept it in his house. If you believe you have been reasonable, given them the opportunity to put things right & the workmanship/materials is still poor or the company won’t put it right, quiet frankly, I would invite them to leave if they threatened me in that way. One disagreement we had towards the end of the job got quiet heated & the contractor did threaten to leave site; I then pointed out that I still owed him £8k which was far more than the outstanding work & if he did walk he wouldn’t get a penny more. I hope you’ve held back enough cash to pay for the job to be finished off by someone else if they do walk!

Sponsored Links
We need to know the full and honest facts as to why you are in disagreement with them first.

As a Libran who is well balanced, I would also like to hear the view point of the contractor too!

Would never go in and finish a task that some one has walked out on .

Never know what can of worms is waiting for you.

As stated holding back cash till the contract is completed satisfactory for both parties can be a legal minefield.

Come on and tell us the reasons Rob, Sometimes a wee bit humble pie from both sides is called for.If you enlighten us perhaps we can advise.

Not that I am taking sides but I have walked off jobs before due to Numpty Site Agents and Knowitall Clients who just wont let you get on and so cost you money.

But there are always to sides to every story.

corgiman said:
Not that I am taking sides but I have walked off jobs before due to Numpty Site Agents and Knowitall Clients who just wont let you get on and so cost you money.

But there are always to sides to every story.

Ditto.

Not walked off any yet come close a few times usually when customer thinks they can project manage an extension by themselves. In my BG days told a few to get thhe f##k out my face or they would be left with no heat or even get a smack in the mouth. One woman even thanked me because she had being dying to say same to her husband for years.

namsag said:
Not walked off any yet come close a few times usually when customer thinks they can project manage an extension by themselves. In my BG days told a few to get thhe f##k out my face or they would be left with no heat or even get a smack in the mouth. One woman even thanked me because she had being dying to say same to her husband for years.

Love it :LOL: LMAO

scatmanjohn said:
namsag said:

Love it :LOL: LMAO

LMAO

Working for BG we used to get a number off abusive customers for one reason or another some justified some not, so it gave you a thick skin and made you a skilled diplomat (aka liar). But some customers just wouldn`t shut up or be less aggressive so needed some of there own attitude back...

Had a few funny ones over the years .One woman after being let down for 3 days opened the door to me followed by a barrage of abuse for a good few minutes , after letting me in and cooling down she came in and apologized as i was her only point of contact and she had to shout at someone. I replied its Ok i am used to it from you anyway, at which point she went red and sheepishly said i used to be your teacher at school didn`t i..yep.

If anyone ever said to me to use the backdoor in an unpolite manner or for no good reason there was no way there appliance was getting fixed that day and parts would be ordered (even if i had them on the van) and visit in 3 days time arranged. Same as when they said i am just having my lunch can you come back later... Of course i can is a week monday ok for you, they soon let you in..

Customerss don`t you just love them, First lesson it`s a bit like eating in a restaurant NEVER take the **** out of the staff till you have had your food

Agile said:
It all depends on the cause of the disagreement which you have not bothered to explain to us.
And you have not "bothered" to ask.

Certainly they can stop working if they choose to and they can claim payment for the work done to date.
It isn't that simple. If the contract was a completed job, then it's a breach of that contract not to complete it.

I appreciate that there are some firms that do a very poor standard of work and they are unlikely to be members of the Institute who have a complaints procedure.
And a fat lot of good that would do anyone who lives outside cloud cuckoo land.

Unfortunately as you seem to think that you can force them to walk out and that you dont need to pay them for the work they have done so far that makes you appear like a cowboy customer who wants work done but you just dont want to pay.
That's an assumption.

You should have insisted on a written quotation detailing the way the work was to be done and the firm should have insisted that you signed the quotation as accepted before starting.
That's your opinion - there are many happy traders and customers who operate without anything in writing.

It will also be more difficult for you to get anyone to finish the work as you will have been tagged as a non paying customer who wants something for nothing.
Tagged? WTF?

To the OP, you might not have a written contract, but you have a verbal one and it is legally binding, it's just harder to prove what it comprises.

If you make working conditions untenable for the trader, e.g. by being what they think is unreasonable, then you've both reached a point where they can't really continue. Whilst you'd be within your rights to hold them in breach for not finishing, this would just end up in a big bun fight, i.e. wasting resources with no clear winner.

If things have gone too far, then the sensible thing to do is agree to cancel the contract, agree an amount to pay them for the work done, and then get someone in to finish it.

On the other hand, you'll struggle to find someone willing to pick up an unfinished job - it's never a very palatable proposition for any trader.

This means that the best advice was that given by croydoncorgi - rebuild the bridges and find a compromise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back