Cancellations...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As expected, sporting/music/cultural events are being cancelled/postponed...

Let alone the business of government...

Lots of disappointed people!

Pay your respects of course, but how does 10 days of cancelling/postponing events show respect? A minutes silence is surely a better way to go?

We're told that 'life goes on', and we got a new King the second she died...

The Monarchy goes on immediately, so why not the same for us?

Sponsored Links
IMHO it will cause as much annoyance to some to see events cancelled as it does to others to see events to go ahead.

Me, I'd prefer social and cultural events to carry on. Lets have a Bank Holiday on the day of HM's funeral so the country/commonwealth can have a damm good wake!

Sponsored Links
They've cancelled the planned strikes out of respect, why shouldn’t they cancel events too. Some people just don’t understand the meaning of a period of mourning.

Lets have a Bank Holiday on the day of HM's funeral so the country/commonwealth can have a damm good wake!
There will be. Also another one on Charles' coronation I believe. Ellal can work through on those days if he's against it but I bet he won’t!

IMHO it will cause as much annoyance to some to see events cancelled as it does to others to see events to go ahead.

Me, I'd prefer social and cultural events to carry on. Lets have a Bank Holiday on the day of HM's funeral so the country/commonwealth can have a damm good wake!
Indeed, cultural events could even include some form of tribute if they carried on.
Especially The Proms!

Mind you, it was reported that the Queen served the nation well for so many years, she never served me! I was waiting to be served in the Queens Head for hours, and I never saw her once. ;)

Mind you, it was reported that the Queen served the nation well for so many years, she never served me! I was waiting to be served in the Queens Head for hours, and I never saw her once. ;)
I fell out of the Queens arms once. ;)

As expected, sporting/music/cultural events are being cancelled/postponed...

Let alone the business of government...

Lots of disappointed people!

Pay your respects of course, but how does 10 days of cancelling/postponing events show respect? A minutes silence is surely a better way to go?

We're told that 'life goes on', and we got a new King the second she died...

The Monarchy goes on immediately, so why not the same for us?
Life is largely going on you muppet. People across the country have got up today and are working or doing whatever they usually do day to day. The country continues to function. However it's right that certain events are cancelled or postponed, if you can't comprehend why then ...

One of my FB friends has posted that he's told his kid that their money in their piggy bank is now worthless, as it has the Queen's head on them. Once in a lifetime(ish) opportunity.

I recall when princess Diana passed away

We had a few customers ring up and cancel work

Also several enquired as to if we would still be coming to carry out work

And a few seemed surprised that we said we were

!!!!

However it's right that certain events are cancelled or postponed, if you can't comprehend why then ...
Why is it right?

What you can't seem to comprehend is that millions won't be able to carry on 'as normal' as events that they had probably planned for months ago are taken away...

Personally I'd have thought that the late queen would have been privately disappointed that horse racing events have been cancelled...

It is actually a disrespect to disrupt her subjects' enjoyments...

But then I guess you are one of those that believe that one person is better than any other, including members of your family?

I'm shocked to see they've cancelled the Last Night of the Proms - i can't think of a better way to celebrate the life of our longest reigning monarch...although there're calls for the show to go on, it seems like overkill.
And that's the thing...

It's right to have a time to pay respect, but since life is a terminal illness it's far better to celebrate than to over mourn!

Sponsored Links
Back