Can't find sewer manhole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1975 semi d. Moved in not long ago, and cannot find the sewer manhole. Neighbor appears to have his in the driveway. That driveway is about 6ft lower than ours. Our drive way is all tarmac and flagstones in rear of property with some stones in garden. Cant seem to find it. Where would I look to find it? Could it be shared with neighbor? There wasn't anything like that in deeds/details etc that I am aware off. How can I find it?

Have no problems at the moment, but concerned as I dont know where it is.

Sponsored Links
You may not even have one or it could have been buried under the grass/concrete/patio or whatever. Start by trying to trace the approximate route.

I just thought every house had one?
Not necessarily no.

We have recently discovered an inspection chamber beneath the front lawn on the job we are building, that the customers didn't know existed. The delivery lorry found it with his front wheel when the lid broke and the wheel sunk down into the turf!

Work out which way the common line is running and assume yours joins it at a down-stream angle. Houses built in a cul-de-sac 'bowl' may have their drains built independently.

Sponsored Links
Can be up to 100 metres between chambers, it's not ideal but not unknown. Also come across streets where there was a chamber every 4th house.

If you really need to know ask the Water Company if they can tell you. If it's shared drain it's their responsibility anyway, you are only liable for the pipework that drains your house only. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back