Can't get parts of the ceiling white

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm renovating a bedroom in my mum's house that had fitted furniture. Where I removed the wardrobe and wall cupboards, it exposed the parts of the ceiling that haven't been painted for nearly 30 years.

I've given the ceiling at least 6 coats of Crown Emulsion but it just isn't matching the rest of the ceiling.

When I did the kitchen the ceiling was thick yellow from all the grease and it didn't take this many coats.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Is it the paint?

Sponsored Links
I would say it is the paint.

I have experienced the exact same problem with some DIY Crown emulsion.

It was like dishwater, it looked like it should cover, but it didn't - useless rubbish.

I think Crown do an 'obliterating' version which does cover well, or try a 'trade' emulsion.

I would say it is the paint.

I have experienced the exact same problem with some DIY Crown emulsion.

It was like dishwater, it looked like it should cover, but it didn't - useless rubbish.

I think Crown do an 'obliterating' version which does cover well, or try a 'trade' emulsion.

Thanks. Think it's the first time I've used this paint and had some marks on the wall that were also still bleeding through with 3 coats.

Time to try something else I guess.

I once purchased 10L of white Crown retail emulsion. It only cost about a tenner.

It was so awful that I binned 9L of it.

Sponsored Links
You could try Stain Block [as above] or use a flat oil paint then emulsion?

If all else fails lining paper and emulsion?

I would start with stain block? easiest and fairly cheap?

Ken

Thanks for everyones replies.

Three coats of Dulux did the job. I won't be buying Crown again.

Thanks for everyones replies.

Three coats of Dulux did the job. I won't be buying Crown again.

Glad you got it sorted.

Personally I am not a fan of crown paints but (with caveats) the crown trade paints are usable, their retail range however should only be sold in pound shops.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back