Can't get to outside of flue

Status
Not open for further replies.
You cannot appoint yourself as the 'gas zar' Bernard..
Did I mention gas in the post.
believe that every gas engineer is a potential rogue trader
I don't.
But these are all "YOUR" opinions and 'hold no water'
Opinions shared by people who deal with the after effects of negligent activity by people. Some involve negligent DIYers and some involve negligent tradespeople.

Sponsored Links
Another gas installation carried out last week by a better competent engineer, next door to me, and suddenly I heard a knock on my door, two men from Transco,wanted to check my gas pressure at my meter, I allowed them in, they asked me to waste some of my hot water at full blast and switch on all 4 burners, measured gas pressure and left, telling me that all is well.

I went next door to find out what was going on, this is where I learned that the RGI had completed new installation and replaced an old boiler, but pressure was right down to about 13mb, when boiler had fired up, otherwise nominal 20 when no gas appliances were in use, hence the need to investigate, they found that drop in pressure was caused by incoming pipe from the street as the pressure at the meter went down to 13mb, but guess what when it suits them it is all ok, otherwise if the drop was on the owners side by even just 2 mbars down, all hell breaks lose, owners face low pressure their boilers are shut down and sealed. why?

The Transco men said to my neighbour that there is no need for him to worry and also told the RGI to proceed and commission the boiler and fill in the Benchmark and hand over the appliance to the owner, I was there listening to their conversations, as long as RGI mentions the low pressure at the meter, and Transco will look into it further, the owner was told he will receive a phone call in a few days, but a full week has gone and nothing has been heard.

They performed a safety test on his cooker, where they lit all 4 burners at minimum setting and fired the boiler full heat, flames did not go out so they said all was safe and well.

But you guys would be horrified and hang anyone suggesting that if pressure at the meter is low one should not worry.

Last edited:
Why I despise RGIs who claim to be professionals and highly competent, because they rip off ordinary people and slum landlords, and professional landlords like me,
the same for ALL trades ;).
you and bernard wonder why we withhold information, remember people can get killed very easily when messing with gas by numpties when very little information is given,after all, just to save a couple of quid or worse still do work on unsuspecting customers to gain that couple of quid :whistle: . money talks bulls!t walks

remember people can get killed very easily when messing with gas by numpties
and remember that some numpties are registered as fit to perform gas work.
the same for ALL trades
of course it is, never said it was only gas trade.

As mentioned it would improve things if there was help in identifying numpties given to people who were concerned that the tradesperson might be a numpty with a valid but undeserved registration document

Sponsored Links
@Mikefromlondon
@bernardgreen
Do you two ever internalise and/or consider any of the responses, to your frequent assaults on the industry and it's representatives, that are put to you by the regular tradesmen here? Or do you just immediately go on the offensive and dissect each response into 'snips' that you can rebuff?

I am aiming for an air of stoicism here and avoiding emotional language but I do feel that you are constantly using this forum as a soapbox, from which, your desire is to peddle your hatred of Gas Engineers/fitters/technicians and the sector as a whole and I don't really understand why!

People like myself come here to help and advise, as and where we can. The odd bit of banter here and there is indicative of society as a whole and helps make this forum more human and less data.

But you two (and a few others who come and go) are so negative and full of horror stories that it would be reasonable for one to question your motives.

I was tempted to scrub this post halfway through writing it because... well because I have other things to do that my missus thinks is more important (fix the dishwasher to be precise) but carried on in the interests of balance and because I feel strongly about defending what I do for my living... and do it well... including a considerable amount of counselling, advising and responding to customers, both existing and new to keep their homes running in comfort.

Late nights and weekend work, due to it being heating season, has meant I've not been on here much of late... nor have many of the other regulars, I notice... and upon my return, well, it's like Groundhog Day: damn gas engineer this, damn RGI that!

I'm sure the mechanics forum is very similar... boilers and cars... apparently they should run, trouble-free, forever, requiring no maintenance and at no cost!

Oh, and those horror stories Mike: for every one of them you report here, I have hundreds of stories of jobs that I have successfully completed, to my usual high standards, leaving nothing but very happy customers who were delighted to pay me and recommend me to several of their friends and family... and that's why I'm always busy.

That is not how it is Dilalio, I can assure you I have nothing against any RGIs, but attitude of some can be questioned on these forums, normally if I bump into an RGI in real life, they are usually very friendly and highly cooperative lot, very helpful, and not a slightest bit anti-landlord attitude, they appreciate any amount of work, but these are the good once and not greedy bunch, those who like to extend a problem and think most people don't know anything about gas and boilers so they are open to abuse and rip off people and landlords, So those RGIs I have met or used for my property would not withhold any advice I am seeking, that is if I need, they even go out of their way to explain in detail, but on these forums it is such a protective issue and an elite group of RGIs who think we are all a bunch of idiots and cannot possibly understand boiler operation and principle, or be competent enough to do some minor simple tasks, for they fear losing work, you lot feel insecure, and I don't know why. We all know Gas work is illegal unless one is qualified to carry out, we are not here to ask you how to increase heat output of our boilers but we come on eher for simple advice like what is causing this noise or that and you only have to say it could be the diverter valve etc, and warn anyone contemplating their own repairs, at least you would protect those people from being ripped off.

I had a lady friend who had her boiler go down one Christmas, she had no idea who to call, so she got a guy from yellow pages, he said he would have to charge her for a call out even if he cannot repair her boiler on that day, he came and looked at her boiler and said it needs a new board, and one cannot be ordered on a Christmas day so he will come back two days with a board and it will cost her another £200.00 so if she wants him to go ahead she will have to confirm by phone. He left with £60.00 call out charge, and was less than 15minutes on site.

She then thought she might call someone else again from yellow pages, another guy comes and he said she will need a new pump and and a heat exchanger and that is why her CH is not working yet the boiler was providing her hot water.

he also said the same thing about parts not being available and he will need to come back again and she can ring him if she wants him to go ahead and it will cost her £300.00 for a new HX and a pump including labour. he took his call out charge £50.00 and walked out.

She was left stranded in cold, so she rings my friend who used to be my ex tenant who had bought his own property, and is now a friend, he directs her to me, so i felt sorry for her being cold and Christmas with no backup heating, I took with me an electric heater and I diagnosed her CH problem to be her timer, poor connections cause her CH to not work. Ever since then she only calls me to look at her CH issues, and I further call a few RGIs who are now3 my friend and they will come and have a look at her boiler all for free!

These friendly RGIs I have at my finger tips, I am never in fear anymore of being ripped off.

Last edited:
Mike - there's a big difference between giving a bit of verbal advice/information to someone you know, in confidence; and laying it out, in black and white, for all and sundry to see, in an open forum!

That is not how it is Dilalio, I can assure you I have nothing against any RGIs, but attitude of some can be questioned on these forums ~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~ These friendly RGIs I have at my finger tips, I am never in fear anymore of being ripped off.

That is exactly how I feel.

Ok mate I understand that, so let us leave it at that, now that I have at least 3 different RGIs with whom i have dealt with and are genuine good friendly and very helpful and charge me very liberal amounts for any problems.

Often when they become stuck on something electrical, i help them with my expertise FOC, hence why I now have a team of RGIs at moments notice or over the phone discussion.

one Christmas, He left with £60.00 call out charge, and was less than 15minutes on site.

. he took his call out charge £50.00 and walked out.

and I further call a few RGIs who are now3 my friend and they will come and have a look at her boiler all for free!

These friendly RGIs I have at my finger tips, I am never in fear anymore of being ripped off.

Your "friend" appears to have been unlucky to come across 2 dodgy RGI's in quick succession, especially as the "real" problem was a loose wire, which would be pretty quickly ascertained. Your friendly RGIs must be REALLY friendly to do work FOC.

I suspect strongly that this is all in your imagination, and I offer as evidence the first two lines above, quoted from your post:

London engineers are unlikely to go to a call out on XMAS DAY for £50 / £60. I would want that for a normal weekend, and I am in the cheap end of the East Mids.

Your "friend" appears to have been unlucky to come across 2 dodgy RGI's in quick succession, especially as the "real" problem was a loose wire, which would be pretty quickly ascertained. Your friendly RGIs must be REALLY friendly to do work FOC.

I suspect strongly that this is all in your imagination, and I offer as evidence the first two lines above, quoted from your post:

London engineers are unlikely to go to a call out on XMAS DAY for £50 / £60. I would want that for a normal weekend, and I am in the cheap end of the East Mids.

Most of the crap Mike posts is imagined. No truthful person would write such verbose nonsense. His hatred of children is also legendary ;). Bernard on the other hand, I have always accepted as a well meaning, sandal wearing but incredibly pompous chap who likes to massage his own sense of importance.

Fireman, that was around 7 years ago, they ripped her and yes my only imagination is that i think what they must have done is took advantage of the fact it is Xmas time and they know they can earn easy money by just visiting people and giving them porky pies and pocketing call out £50 or £60 per call out, so that can't be bad if they can mange 3 call outs an hour earning £150 per hour without doing much else throughout Xmas day, so for 10 hours driving around and pocketing cash £1500 all in a day must feel like real Xmas! .

You may also be shocked then in London area many estate agents freely advertise landlords safety certificates for £35.00 and this is current prize for any landlord not just their clients.

Fireman, that was around 7 years ago, they ripped her and yes my only imagination is that i think what they must have done is took advantage of the fact it is Xmas time and they know they can earn easy money by just visiting people and giving them porky pies and pocketing call out £50 or £60 per call out, so that can't be bad if they can mange 3 call outs an hour earning £150 per hour without doing much else throughout Xmas day, so for 10 hours driving around and pocketing cash £1500 all in a day must feel like real Xmas! ..
Get in the real world FFS.... So you are suggesting 3 calls an hour over a 10 hour period on Xmas day????
When I advertised heavily I was getting around 20 calls a day in the depth of winter , the most calls I ever received on Xmas day was 3 calls , my charges were £300 for a call out to which was declined....
You are talking absolute BS , 30 calls a day FFS..:rolleyes:

Come on Steel, play nicely, MOL is giving a hypothetical situation on what could be earned under ideal circumstances, although I'll agree that he's pushed the argument a bit too far. It's also more than likely that the call out charge was cheap to get the overpriced and unnecessary work, and they'd have then charged even more to fix the real fault afterwards. We've all come across the crap and dodgy engineers, and they're not going away any time soon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back