Can't get to outside of flue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
That's why I suspect it was a sprat to catch a mackerel. We've all seen cowboy traders and what the buggers get up to, so I for one will give Mike the benefit of the doubt.

• Thanks
Reactions: snb
Most call-outs out of hours are due to the customer failing to get hold of their regular service guy... So I very much doubt the customer will be contacting the out-of-hours mob should they require further repairs.

so we have National Grid fitting boilers and Transco resurrected all in one post ????

Sponsored Links
so we have National Grid fitting boilers and Transco resurrected all in one post ????

NG doesn't necessarily stand for National Grid, and they don't fit boilers, so go back and do your home work, you have failed your test.

let me give you a tip, N Gas.

So please don't act smart when you cannot.

Last edited:
if my boiler packed up and it was xmas, and I was told it will be £60 just for a call out to come and diagnose my problem, I would tell the guy to forget it.
Don't call me then as I'll quote you 300 notes , the fun being you'd have wasted your time calling me.
So what would you say a reasonable price would be to call someone out on Xmas day you prick.

Why I despise RGIs who claim to be professionals and highly competent, because they rip off ordinary people and slum landlords, and professional landlords like me, here is one most recent example:
My Ex Tenant who bought his own house is suing a certain reputable company (NG) who installed his boiler and charged him £3,800.00 just the boiler, no full CH, the RGI left his wiring in such a dangerous state, live neutral and earth conductors being wired into mains spur from the edge of the front plate of the spur, and the rest of the mains flex running diagonally across his kitchen worktop, suspended barely 2 feet above, and heading into his new vaillant 838 boiler.

2. He left the inner flue seal out and you can see at least 1/2" gaps between the flue and wall.

3. He did not wire his room thermostat and left the boiler with a loop in RT instead of wiring it to his existing Nest thermostat.

4. He did not feed the mains cord through appropriate glands and entry points, and it entered the boiler control board from again the edge leaving its electronics exposed from the rear as the lid won't shut due to mains cord fed from wrong place.

5. On the contract the company had agreed to carry out system flush (power flush) but the installer did not do this.

6. He filled up the Benchmark and got the new owner to sign, and now it has gone two months no one has been back to finalise the installation if you assume it was wired as a temporary only.

7. The owner made many calls to the company, each time he rang a receptionist transferred his call directly to the Installation team where he was asked to leave a message and someone will call back.
No one called him back

8. THe owner could not use his CH as it had been left at 75c flow temp. and his RT was not wired in. he was not shown how to use the controls.

This is Gas safe work.,

So guess who had to go and complete the job? exactly someone more competent. and it won't be cheap either, so I have asked my ex tenant to sue NG and seek well over a grand in componsation for inconvenience and leaving the appliance in a dangerous state and room state not wired in, which i believe is now illegal if not wire it in.

I am not sure if the inner flue seal is a legally required item, but another RGI told me it is only for cosmetic purpose, but I see it as a second line of defence if the outer seal fails.
I don't believe a word of this :LOL:. Think you're trying to justify your hatred of RGI's by just plainly making things up. I know there are cowboys out there, but you seem to know them all personally. Grow up FFS.

It is not unknown for householders to accept the cheapest quote from a 'builder' / 'plumber' without checking documentation. When things go belly up, these 'handymen' types become Gassafe installers. Not saying all registered guys do sterling work, but what I am saying is, a registered installer will lose work if he is careless as bad reputation spreads like wildfire.

I wonder if Mikefromlondon could quote the RGIs gassafe number.

I don't believe a word of this :LOL:. Think you're trying to justify your hatred of RGI's by just plainly making things up. I know there are cowboys out there, but you seem to know them all personally. Grow up FFS.
You don't believe me, makes me laugh, then you have no idea what is out there, so called professional tradesmen in all walks of life, what surprised me was that first my mate asked me if I knew anyone who can change his boiler and remove open vented heating system and as well as HW storage tank, I checked with a couple of my RGI mates, they couldn't do it for 3 weeks, fully booked, so I went back to my mate and told him he will have to wait 3 to 4 weeks, all my RGI mates are busy, he said as he was having a loft conversion done and the work was going to start in a week, they had asked him to have all CH gubbings taken out of loft for them to start on his loft, they were not going to touch any part of his CH tanks and what not.

So in the end, he approached Northern Gas, a rep came over, discussed what he needed, and how and where and what the price would include, my mate in a tight situation with time signed the contract, they send one of their nominated engineer from south of the river, he came on the very first day he realised that the boiler the rep had tried to flog my mate was far too big it was Vaillant 937 something like that with a 15liter storage tank and rated at 38Kw, and it was a big beast to mount on a wall, in a smallish kitchen.

So my mate and the engineer both agreed it was far too big then my mate had anticipated, the engineer went back took the boiler with him, he returned next day with a smaller version without a storage tank behind, Vaillant 838, and put that up on the wall and started to plumb.

My mate noticed that the engineer tried to make his life easier by running a new gas pipe from outside of the wall, this wall faces main road and is vulnerable to vandalism, so my mate didn't like the idea of a gas pipe running to the outside and asked the engineer to keep the same route as for his old boiler, which meant getting behind kitchen units, the engineer was not going mess around with kitchen units to get to the pipe, so he tried to run a new pipe from the outside.

So the engineer was persuaded to run the pipe internally, he was most probably pi55ed off my mate telling him how to do his job properly!

The rest of the story has already been mentioned, my mate signed this boiler change for £3800.00 (well actually it is £3,600.00) now as the boiler was downgraded.

So the engineer took another half day, came back the next day to finish off and filled in Bench Mark and left.

I have proof of Benchmark, proof of original contract, the company's headed paper, and I took pictures of his shoddy dangerous work he left my mate in such a vulnerable situation, his Nest controller was not connected, he had a loop at RT terminal and my mate there after rang NG so many times but they did not send anyone to remedy the situation, I have asked my mate to report this to Gas safe and also to sue NG and seek over a grand for componsation, my mate sent NG a written recorded delivery letter giving them ultimatum, to complete his installation within 14 days or he will get someone else to do so and charge them, but guess what , they did not even reply let alone sending anyone to complete.

This a factual scenario, I wish my mate could give me £3,800 and I would have done this job for him to his full satisfaction with my RGI mates.

This as well as the neighbours low pressure is also a factual scenario, latest I heard from my mate when I asked him when are they going to dig up to replace a new pipe, he said they told him (Transco) that his job has been scheduled for near future, but his case is not urgent or an emergency, they have lots of pending emergency cases to deal with first where people have lost their gas supply.

Please don't believe if you don't want to,. but I cannot be arsed to put up pictures of my mate's legal correspondence with Northern gas, and the pictures I have taken without his permission.

Last edited:
Please don't believe if you don't want to,. but I cannot be arsed to put up pictures of my mate's legal correspondence with Northern gas, and the pictures I have taken without his permission.

Happy to name the company without any substantiated evidence though aren't you?

You are an idiot and a liar.

can't be arsed or you just can't ;)

My mate noticed that the engineer tried to make his life easier by running a new gas pipe from outside of the wall, this wall faces main road and is vulnerable to vandalism, so my mate didn't like the idea of a gas pipe running to the outside .
Not even in Threaded Steel ?:unsure:

No, it was run in 22 copper, removed afterwards and you would see the hole drilled in the outside wall facing a road. As for photos I would love to but not sure if my mate would object as he is now making a claim. I really did not want to name the company but when someone thinks NG stands for National grid, then I had to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back