Cantilevered (?) triangular basin support - feasible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a handsome 1930s basin I'd like to install in my bathroom. Its 69cm wide and 47cm deep (fron to back). I don't want it on a vanity basin or a pedestal or brackets.

I'd like to construct a timber frame to support the basin and hide the pipework.

The wall is a solid, Victorian brick one.

My idea is to build a 2x2 rectangular frame upon which the basin rests, and two sloping pieces of 2x2 mitred at both ends and running from the front of the frame to the wall, so that looking from the side you see a triangle shape.

I'd then screw plywood to each triangular side and the front, and paint it, so everything was enclosed and neat. I'd keep the screws accessible (perhaps with those little caps on) in case we ever need access to the plumbing.

Has anyone ever done something like this and most importantly, will it work?

Cheers

Sussexwoman

Sponsored Links
Good morning!
Your idea would work perfectly well - the only problem you may have is the cutting out of the frame top, (ply maybe) which the basin sits in, as the basin will have an awkward profile to copy.
Unless the basin is of the Belfast flat bottomed type, of course!
John :)

Hello Burner, fancy meeting you here. Soon you will know ALL my secret plans!

I don't want the basin to sit inside the frame but on top of it. In fact the edge of the basin would overhang the 2x2 frame on all 3 sides.

The basin is currently in my bedroom and sits on an old pine cupboard. I cut a hole in the top of this cupboard (with my electric jigsaw!) for the bowl of the basin to sit in, and the remaining parts of the basin are flat, yes, as they sit on the cupboard.

(You will probably ask, why not put the cupboard also in the bathroom, well, it's because the bathroom is small and I am 100% certain that people will tub their toes on it every time they visit the loo in the middle of the night.)[/b]

That sounds good, and you can use the profile of your existing pine cupboard as a pattern to cut out the shape of the new one if need be.
Just check the run of any proposed drains and hot / cold supply before getting stuck in.
Enjoy!

PS:

Maybe you'd like to consider an extractor fan above the basin? Moisture removal etc....... :p :p :p
J :)

Sponsored Links
Don't start THAT again lol

The basin replaces the current basin, which is a very boring modern shape. I'm sure to get £5 for it and its pedestal on Ebay.

Did you really think I didn't have a washbasin in my bathroom? lol

So, the cantilever idea will work, then, will it?

[/b]

I see so the new WHB is going into exactly the same place as the existing one; therefore pipe work changes will be minimal.
Your triangulated structure will work perfectly well, and hopefully you'll get a good fixing around the skirting board area.
I'm sure appropriate MDF fretwork will be applied at a later date! :D
Hope it goes well.

Yes the triagular method will work. The main load will be at the top of the wall upright which will be trying to pull it all off the wall. This is where you need the strongest fixings. I would go with some form of masonary anchor like a rawl bolt rather than risking normal plugs & screws.

You could make some cantilevered brackets from something like "unistrut" and chase out the plaster to loose the vertical members, this would then give you two horizontal arms comming out of the wall that the basin can be set onto.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back