Capped gas line, am i being paranoid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Had a gas cooker removed a couple of weeks ago, and moved the washing machine out to gain access to the gas line to have it capped,

The wall behind the washing machine is shocking and needs stripping (avoiding the capped pipe)

The pipe near the cooker that attached to the hose was copper, but i am not sure if the remnant is dirty copper or black pipe (the washing machine had not been moved in some time)

I noticed the guy who did it had used white teflon tape to seal it and cut it right back to within 3 inches of the wall. He is definitely on the gas safe register (i checked), he did something at the meter to check for leaks...

I thought you were not supposed to use white tape, or compression on gas, and im not sure its good that the pipe goes through the wall?- although it has been like that for 20 years and may be protected in the wall (i cant tell)

Roll forward three weeks...

I had a different plumber in to service my boiler , also gas safe registered- he also did something at the meter to check for leaks
I mentioned the capped pipe, he barely glanced at it (its near the floor and he stayed upright) and said its fine, and that going through the wall was nothing to worry about

He also said that there are no leaks as he checked the gas pressure and to not worry.

Am i being paranoid about nothing? My mrs thinks i am, and that the idea of me getting someone in to check it is me being ridiculous

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You have had two gas safe engineers look at it, one to cap it, one to check it over. I am not an expert but have seen plenty of gas pipes capped with compression and ptfe.

Blup

Yeh i guess i am being silly, it was just the white tape (i thought it was yellow for gas) that triggered me ... i will relax (i am wary of gas) thanks ...i will also stop doing my mrs head in :)

Yeh i guess i am being silly, it was just the white tape (i thought it was yellow for gas) that triggered me ... i will relax (i am wary of gas) thanks ...i will also stop doing my mrs head in :)

The reel is yellow to identify it, but the tape is still white, just twice as thick thought still PTFE. Put twice as much on and it's the same.

Sponsored Links
They were checking for leaks at the meter. There is a test point which they connect up to and register if there is any loss of pressure over a period of time.

Don't discuss gas work

Last edited by a moderator:
If you believe you are correct, then you will be able to explain why you hold that belief. I would be very interested to read that explanation.
indeed you would but as this is an open forum the site does not permit me to give gas advice, get yourself qualified and join the CC and I will be more than happy to enlighten you

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back