Capping off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in process of replacing the bathroom.

I have decided to keep costs down and do various elements myself (and i want to learn more too!). My plan was that i would get a plumber in to cap off the old appliances first - do the rest of the work i want to have done myself next (clearing out and doing walls and floors etc) - and then get them back in to install the new appliances and finish off.

Timescales are the only problem, i want to crack on with my part of the work but am not able to get a plumber in this week to cap things off.

Further investigation on these and other forums suggest that it isn't a difficult job and with a bit of thought i should easily be able to do this.

The house is ten years old and all pipework etc looks in decent enough nick from what i can see but they don't have any of those isolation/service valves. Going forward i would like to be able to have them as they make sense. I am looking to cap off basin (15mm), bath (22mm), toilet and radiator (12mm i think).

In term of capping things off, would it be ok to use an isolation valve on the end of the copper pipe as a temporary capping off solution and also would the plumber then be able to use this when the do the final installation? or would a proper stop be the best solution.

I don't want to leave a total bodged job for the plumber when they come to do their bit so any tips or advice is welcome

I don't have any of the basic tools for this so are there any recommendations as to what would be suitable for a real part timer for doing these jobs?

Also, any ideas with what to cover/fill the toilet waste pipe with?

Sponsored Links
You should be able to cope with this job with a few tools.
2 good pipe slicers 15 & 22mm.
An adjustable spanner, water pump pliers.
A roll of ptfe tape just in case.
Isolation valves can be used and left in place for future changes.

HTH

in terms of where i put the valves is there any obvious no-no's?

I guess the plumber can accomodate the rest of the lengths of pipes that he installs to match where i install the valves.

I see there are pipe cutters for 15 and 22 mm - what about the smaller sizes? does a mini cutter do an ok job?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back