Car handbrake cable loose where it attaches to the brake caliper and not holding the car. video inc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
If it is fine without a working handbrake, then why might you think one is a legal requirement for every vehicle on the road.

That handbrake operating arm in the caliper is seized up. It should operate a cam inside the caliper and easily spring back to the off position when the handbrake is released.

Unhook one side of the handbrake at the wheel and neither side will work, because there is a balance or equaliser lever at some location in the vehicle. That balance the braking force of the handbrake between the two sides of the car.

The dribble of diesel might fix it temporary, but longer term it needs a new caliper - it should not be taken on the road until it is repaired.

hi , thanks for that info. I need this sorted asap as the mot for it is due in 8 weeks

I changed the calipers discs and pads almost a year ago, all was fine it passed the mot no problem. I tried later to make handbrake tighter and undid the cable though I don't know why I did. Anyway after connecting the handbrake cable again the wheel locks up it drives fine but the brakes quickly overheat so I left cable disconnected for now.

The handbrake operating arm/spindle was seized but I got it working again and it now springs back and forth.

On these vectras I hear mixed responses whether or not the cables can be adjusted as the cables on these are self adjusting. do you know whether it can be adjusted or not ?

If it is fine without a working handbrake, then why might you think one is a legal requirement for every vehicle on the road.

That handbrake operating arm in the caliper is seized up. It should operate a cam inside the caliper and easily spring back to the off position when the handbrake is released.

Unhook one side of the handbrake at the wheel and neither side will work, because there is a balance or equaliser lever at some location in the vehicle. That balance the braking force of the handbrake between the two sides of the car.

The dribble of diesel might fix it temporary, but longer term it needs a new caliper - it should not be taken on the road until it is repaired.

hi , thanks for that info. I need this sorted asap as the mot for it is due in 8 weeks

I changed the calipers discs and pads almost a year ago, all was fine it passed the mot no problem. I tried later to make handbrake tighter and undid the cable though I don't know why I did. Anyway after connecting the handbrake cable again the wheel locks up it drives fine but the brakes quickly overheat so I left cable disconnected for now.

The handbrake operating arm/spindle was seized but I got it working again and it now springs back and forth.

On these vectras I hear mixed responses whether or not the cables can be adjusted as the cables on these are self adjusting. do you know whether it can be adjusted or not ?

Okeydokey, back to basics. if the calipers have been replaced recently (with recon items, NOT from a breakers yard) they should be just fine and need no attention just yet.
With the cable disconnected, you should be able to move the operating lever by hand, but only a short distance. The lever should then spring back to its stop. if it does this, all is well.
As before, I think a new handbrake cable is what you need.....one cable feeds both wheels, if I remember - that's common practice these days.
John :)

Sponsored Links
This why you should take it to the garage. You don't know what you are doing!

Andy

I am learning !! Every single post you come here just to post sarcasm and to critisise me not once have you ever come to my threads to help or post anything nice. yet you inssit time and time again to keep coming back to troll

Okeydokey, back to basics. if the calipers have been replaced recently (with recon items, NOT from a breakers yard) they should be just fine and need no attention just yet.
With the cable disconnected, you should be able to move the operating lever by hand, but only a short distance. The lever should then spring back to its stop. if it does this, all is well.
As before, I think a new handbrake cable is what you need.....one cable feeds both wheels, if I remember - that's common practice these days.

hi

Yes they were replaced about 10 months ago all brand new, calipers discs and pads. there is actually a very good shoo in chorley with a huge warehouse its an ex bus depot. I got 2 brand new calipers for around £50.

Yes I can move the cables by hand they seem fine they move back and forth without issue maybe 2 inches or so then they stop. I'd have uploaded a video but didn't have phone with me it was at home on charge.
you said all is well if I can do that with cables, which I can. but then you suggest a new cable after saying all is well with it ? I appreciate your advice, Maybe I am missing something though ?

Seriously, two new calipers for £50? Usually they are more than that each!
Test the calipers as per my post #49 and come back.

I am learning !! Every single post you come here just to post sarcasm and to critisise me not once have you ever come to my threads to help or post anything nice. yet you inssit time and time again to keep coming back to troll

YOU DO NOT LEARN BY TRIAL AND ERROR, TRYING TO FIX A CAR.

Take it to a garage!

Andy

It seems the Vauxhall rear caliper differs to the VW type. On the Vauxhall, the lever appears to be press on to spindle rod for the handbrake. I can understand how its gotten rusty if water's got in.

full

Regarding the cable, I pull it off the car and fully inspect it.

Seriously, two new calipers for £50? Usually they are more than that each!
Test the calipers as per my post #49 and come back.

Yes they were cheap I was surprised look on eBay there are other seller selling rear calipers for about £23 brand new. They are completely fine maybe I shouldn't have told you the price as they are cheap and I understand you questioning it but they really do work just great. The issues only started a few months after fitting them as I took out the cable to try tighten the handbrake more though I don't know why I undid cable to do that

They are completely fine maybe I shouldn't have told you the price as they are cheap

Well obviously they are not fine as they didn't even last 12 months. Which they would be guaranteed for 1 year, only thing is, is that they were fitted by a diyer and not a mechanic.

Andy

Well obviously they are not fine as they didn't even last 12 months. Which they would be guaranteed for 1 year, only thing is, is that they were fitted by a diyer and not a mechanic.

Andy

Eh ? Yes they have lasted since I fitted them they aren't any issue with them nowhere did imply any issue with them , read the thread the issues regarding the handbrake cables everything is ok with the caliper themselves or at least it seems, np reason to suspect otherwise

are the handbrake mechanisms now rotating freely and returning to their stop positions?

My friend, trust me, get the car to a garage and let them check what's wrong with it.
I'm a diy mechanic myself, but i know my limits and I won't mess about with brakes.
As long as you fix a leak here and change oil and filter it's all good, you're not risking anyone's life.
But once you start messing about with brakes, you're putting yourself and others at risk of death.
Imagine if you "fixed" the handbrake and it worked for a couple of weeks, then suddenly it locks on the motorway at 90mph (yes, I know you do it, we all do).
Take the car to a mechanic, tell them you haven't got much money and they'll help you out.
Even better, join a vectra or Vauxhall forum and you will find a competent and trusted mechanic relatively close to you who will fix the handbrake for good and make the car safe. (At least on brakes, we don't know the rest)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back