Car Insurance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A quote for my lad for a Kia Ceed (61 plate Eco TDI) with a provisional is £400, with Mrs Secure on as named driver.

Exactly the same scenario but with him having a full licence and Mrs Secure on as a named driver is £2200.

If the driver passes his test part-way through the policy, how does that work?

PS: Would you buy this car? Would you worry if the chain has not been replaced around 150K?
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201809030106286?year-from=2011&sort=sponsored&postcode=s25ba&model=CEE'D&radius=1500&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&make=KIA&advertising-location=at_cars&year-to=2011&page=1

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You have to notify them and it goes up. Had the same thing with both our kids, reason being that as new and inexperienced driver, they will be in the car on their own so the risk is deemed to be higher.

For the P.S -
The Kia Hyundai range are generally pretty good, nice quiet engines, tough interiors and few corrosion issues.....there are loads about with a low mileage rather than that inter gallactic one. For that reason alone I wouldn't go near that one - its near the end of its life, hence the price. It'll be forever needing attention now.
John :)

They'll just recalculate the premium based on the time left to run on the policy and the new driver circumstances.

And I wouldn't buy a car with 180k miles on it, let alone pay £1200 for it. Must be mad.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't buy that car - You can get plenty of decent cars with much lower mileage on. If you are spending less than £2k avoid dealers like a plague. That car would have been bought for 300-400 quid tops.

Always worth getting a webuyanycar quote on a car you are interested in, just to see what its base/trade in value is.

I wouldn't buy that car - You can get plenty of decent cars with much lower mileage on.

Similar price too, slightly older but for anything with around the 100k mark/£1500 range, a couple of years won't amount to much. I've just had a look and Ceed are plentiful, I'd even go as far as to say it's a buyer's market.

Last edited by a moderator:
A quote for my lad for a Kia Ceed (61 plate Eco TDI) with a provisional is £400, with Mrs Secure on as named driver.

Exactly the same scenario but with him having a full licence and Mrs Secure on as a named driver is £2200.

Got this info recently from a friend whose daughter just passed the test, and apparently got caught out insurance wise - albeit a slightly different scenario but with financial implications.
(the daughter whilst learning was a named driver on the mother's policy which had cost about £1200 extra for the year)
But apparently a provisional licence becomes effectively invalid for insurance purposes as soon as you pass.
The insurance on the car is then not valid (for the person who has passed) and you have to start again, with no refund against the original premium.
In their case the insurance had only been running for 3 months, and to start a new policy loaded the premium by a further £300.
So the £1200 ended up only covering that 3 months, and to start again for a new yearly insurance would have been an additional £1600
(was no more expensive and of course better in the long run for the daughter to start her own policy on a lower insurance group car)
This of course may just be that particular insurance company, but a complete rip off nonetheless!

My daughter used these people:

https://www.collingwood.co.uk/learner-driver-insurance/short-term-learners/

She bought a Corsa, insured it with them and paid monthly (about £46). I sat in it while she drove around and offered advice where I could.

At the same time she had a few professional lessons.

The day she passed her test she cancelled with Collingwood and they refunded the remainder of that months premium.

They were excellent and much easier to deal with than I thought.

Thanks fellas

Motman/ Sammy/ ellal

Thanks for insurance comments. I have just contacted a couple of companies. Seems like a bit of a scam....they will happily take the money to insure him with a provisional licence but cannot tell me what the premium might be with him driving on a full licence and they can't even tell me how much (if any) of the provisional premium would be repayable if we cancelled due to the full licence premium being too much.

Sammy/ MB

It seems the cheapest cars are minute ones. We would prefer something with more than a few millimetres between the back bumper and the occupants. I also have a bit of a dilemma: do we buy a popular car like a Ford or Vauxhall that would have plentiful cheap parts available to fix it when it went wrong, or do we buy something Japanese or Korean that is more reliable?
Personally, I'm a fan of engines with timing chains that tend not to snap.

I've often driven high milers and never suffered major mechanical issues. Even a 180K Montego back in the day! The thing that killed it was that the bodywork was disintegrating.

I really don't know what to buy!

As for the budget, I'd like to try and get the newest car possible (they have more safety kit and seem to have lower premiums than older cars), but I know beggars can't be choosers with a budget of £1K. Hence the 61 plate 180K Kia. Saw a fantastic 10 plate Fabia diesel estate a while back with 250K and it was £900, but it was sold.

Finally, I know this is different depending on your experiences, but I was ripped off terribly by a private seller, that's why I tend to lean towards dealers.

Ian

I will look at that!

Last edited:
You're right in that the bigger you go the higher the price. You'll also pay more for a Ford or Vauxhall because they're household names. I've only ever RT had Ford or Vauxhall and the one Vauxhall I did have was a nail of a car.

Personally I'd go into the market with a bigger budget. What may seem cheap to buy will most likely cost you a fortune in the long run.

Rip off is the name of the game with car insurance. Surely the best option is to start off with a tin box ? Insurance will still be £600-800 but the humiliation of driving a sh1t car for 1-2 years will make the youngster appreciate a better car when they get it.. and hopefully look after it - at least that's the hope.

CC-50-008-800.jpg

Sponsored Links
Back