Car passes MOT but......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Brakes need urgent attention??? Can someone explain please before I go to collect car later today.

Sponsored Links
What attention? Can’t be that bad or it wouldn’t have passed. Might just be that the brake pads are getting near to the minimum limit. PM me the reg number if you like and I’ll check it out for you.

Sponsored Links
There should be a report on the advisory page, surely?
John :)
'Urgent attention' to brakes should not be an advisory. It should be a specific testable item, noted and be failed. Possibly the garage is hoping for a little extra work?

It sounds to me that the brakes are working fine as to stopping the vehicle, but perhaps the pads are seriously worn down?
Obviously the braking force and balance is satisfactory or it would have failed.

Car is being delivered. Receptionist was able to tell me that front pads were 80% worn and that there was corrosion on the discs. Will post full details when I get the car. Meanwhile thanks for the various inputs.

Car on way now. Front brake pads 80% worn and there is slight corrosion on the discs. The quote for making good is £187.00. With 20% of the pad remaining, it would seem from my naive point of view a little early to replace them.

For sure they aren't going to fail in the next few days or a month but why wait.....chances are they've lasted for years anyway so I'd get them done. That's a pretty fair price for discs and pads.

If the vehicle came to me with that sort of wear, they'd be done - no issues.
If I didn't, the punter could assume they are ok for the next 12 months.....he's hardly going to get them checked regularly, 'just in case'.

If the vehicle came to me with that sort of wear, they'd be done - no issues.
If I didn't, the punter could assume they are ok for the next 12 months.....he's hardly going to get them checked regularly, 'just in case'.
That’s what I tell my customers if they haven’t got the money at the time - you can run them down to metal as you will be changing the discs anyway. I wouldn’t do it on my own car but it won’t be costing me anywhere near what it will cost the customer.

Thats a good price, , but what does making good mean?
check what parts are included , my disks needed replacing as they had a grove in from the metal detector in the pads, I was told by an Audi garage 75% worn, on a summary of the vehicle when I asked them to repair a faulty petrol flap, i could not open.
Got my local garage to look during its service & MOT which was 3 weeks later, and one pad was worn down to just before the indicator and the disks grooved , so they had to replace the disks and they cost over £100 just for the parts

MOT details:
Sorry, tried to post a copy of the details but nothing happens when I try to upload the file.

Edit: Estimate is for replacement pads and disc clean.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back