car trading from home advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i used to work as a car salesman a while ago. i was thinking of starting up and trading from home. any traders on here that can advise where to source cars? are auctions still expensive ?

thank you

Sponsored Links
My mates dad has done just this for the last 30 years (and judging by his house, done it very well).
As well as auctions, he struck a deal with a main dealer to buy cars they had taken in part exchange. This worked well but the downside was he had to agree to buy a certain number of cars per month and on occasion had to take some real crap and get rid as best he could.
The real heaps were put straight through auctions but the odd loss on these was more than balanced out by the decent motors he got from them. One final point, he wasn`t the only trader the dealers used but by being willing to buy a greater number of cars than the others he, more often than not, got 1st choice. (still didn`t prevent him having to take the crap when the dealers hadn`t taken much in in any given month though)
Hope this helps.

If you are a trader then the tax man will want to know and so will your Local Council - and Trading Standards too. How will you guarantee them? Where's your workshop?

Sponsored Links
I was trading from home until i was reported to the council. plus there are nasty people at the lower end of the motor trade. often people that seem to do well are up to other things. do you have a gun! :eek:
I was glad to give it up

it would all be above board (re council and registering). I know of a couple of people through friends that do it and have a nice living from it.

i used to work as a car salesman a while ago. i was thinking of starting up and trading from home. any traders on here that can advise where to source cars? are auctions still expensive ?

thank you

well as a car salesman... surely you should know how to sell.... and if you cannot source cars.. i suggest you should change your job...

My mates dad has done just this for the last 30 years (and judging by his house, done it very well).
As well as auctions, he struck a deal with a main dealer to buy cars they had taken in part exchange. This worked well but the downside was he had to agree to buy a certain number of cars per month and on occasion had to take some real crap and get rid as best he could.
The real heaps were put straight through auctions but the odd loss on these was more than balanced out by the decent motors he got from them. One final point, he wasn`t the only trader the dealers used but by being willing to buy a greater number of cars than the others he, more often than not, got 1st choice. (still didn`t prevent him having to take the crap when the dealers hadn`t taken much in in any given month though)
Hope this helps.

you have answered your own question....

Sponsored Links
Back