Carbon cleaner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ATF and acetone is a well known mix for cleaning baked on carbon.

But, I don't have ATF. I have MTF, PAG, Kroil, engine, differential, brake, hydralic jack oil and WD40. Are any of these make a good ATF substitute for an acetone mix? MTF could be too thick. There are many claims of kroil being a good penetrant. But, there are also many people saying its useless.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Tried a Kroil and Acetone mix. It had zero discernible effect.

The best acetone mix I found was: 0 part acetone, 1 part white vinegar. Basically acetone is a myth or I simply don't have the patience for it.

If the carbon is baked on ( as per gdi engines) then hardly any thing will shift it.....in fact the carbon is blasted away using walnut shells.
Acetone is the best solvent for oily soft deposits but it won’t look at the hard stuff.
John

Sponsored Links
I had no trouble shifting the hard carbons on the exhaust tips using white vinegar steam. The same carbons could not be shifted using steel wire wheel without destruction to the metal. No oils worked, nor did polishing compound.

Occasionally, I suffer from madness and fall for fanciful ideas on the internet, all the while I had the solution within me. On this occasion, white vinegar did the trick of what I need. Though never tried it, I know a better solution, and that is industrial grade concentrated white vinegar.

The acetone was quite noticibly effective on removing hardened domestic paint.

Last edited:
Back