career questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im considering becomming an electrician, but have a question. I was previously in an industry which i enjoyed, but is now over-saturated with workers. It's hard to find work, and when you did, the pay was generally poor. How is it being an electrician? Have you found it hard to find work, is the situation getting better/worse? Hows the pay etc etc? I know everyone wants more cash, but are you ok with the cash your making, don't feel like your being taken advantage of etc etc? what about the influx of immigrant's, have they effected your job etc etc? What was your toughest challenge, finding someone to take you on after you qualified etc etc???

Im asking these questions, as i currently feel i've wasted years studying for something and don't want this to happen again. Just need honest opinions about the electrical industry from electricians really. Cheers

Sponsored Links
stay out of it.

to become an alec, you will have to go to college again, = low if at all wages

there must be btter things to do

Dont listen to him, i've just qulaified and theres plenty of jobs about, pay is quite good in my area compared to other jobs, and theres plenty of side work if your into that type of stuff. Training dosn't take that long, i did a City & Guilds Home study course which only took 6 months to do!

and you learnt everything in 6 months?

my apprencticeship was 4 years (should have been 5)

Sponsored Links
I served 3½ years. still learning stuff now nine years later. These six month courses are a joke. You can't learn how to work safely within this short amount of time.

ml1936, some of your questions on this forum seem to echo my sentiment.

I have had an apprentice with me since christmas (he is in his 30s and quit his office job for the sparky life). He is competent enough to wire pre designed circuits, and second fix under supervision, but he is by no means ready to design circuits, fit mains etc yet. (he also did a year at college on evenings before quitting his previous office job)

I did 3 1/2 years as well, and learn't much more since.

These wonder schemes benefit the people who run them and do nothing for the trade. Have seen ones such as 'Elec Local' and they even advertise Part P aprooved (in Scotland where it doesn't apply).

As I said to my new start (apprentice), you can get an hourly rate and learn a lot less or a fixed price per day. On an hourly rate you will be doing all donkey work and watching me, and you will not be out all day every day- some jobs are one man (such as a CU change), but are invaluable as learning experience.

Or on a fixed price, you will be out 5 days a week; if you don't mind learning I will let you do the work (after showing you), I will check your work and make you do it again if required. So a double socket that will take me 5 mins to do will take you upto 45 mins.
As I said I don't mind taking twice as long to do a simple job as long as you don't moan about the finishing time.

It's not the qualifications (although they are important) it's about the experience, it will give you a better reputation and an easier life if you go down the experience route.

i did my C+G and AM1 and AM2's in 2 years. then Btec national certif, HNC and then HND. i spend more time with my laptop than tools at work now.
theres a shortage of skilled people, sparkys and engineers but do some time with a skilled man rather than a get it quick course. People like experiance as well as qualifications

I did C&G part2 in 6 Month, it should of took 2 year, but whizzed through it. I was simply trying to say that he shouldn't be put off my the other person saying not to bother being a spark and pointed out there are course out there for you to take which dont take the 4 or 5 years that you'd think. Obviously a 4 or 5 year apprentice is much better, but didn't want the fella being put off

ml1936
Im curious, what was the home study C&G you were awarded, and where did you take your exams?

baldelectrician said:
These wonder schemes benefit the people who run them and do nothing for the trade.

I'll second that - in fact they insult the trade. I know most people are only trying to better themselves but I agree, not only are they being milked by these wonder schemes, after 6 months they are then let loose on the public

I did the 236 A (2 years) B (1 year) & C (2 years) on the 14th and I'm still studying now.

I have just finished my Part 2, and have nearly three years experience in the trade from commercial, domestic to some light industrial works.
The experience I have gained is invaluable to me.
I won't bore you all with a tedious list of my experiences, but I will say this A 6 MONTH COURSE IS BULLSH*T. please for the love of god do not go down that road, I have met people who have done this course and I assure you they can barely recognise how to do a job professionaly, or competently, the only way forward is to gain in it in the real world in real time which means find a sparky or a couple of sparkies who are willing to take you on even if its a couple of days here and there, and get some hands on experience. I'm 30 and yes I also quit an office job to become a sparky, but I already new that there was more to this game than met the eye - just look through the forum for different problems that have arisen.
To be a comaptent sparky you really should be able to answer atleast 50%of the querries posted on here, I can't, I'm still learning, and I'm proud to say that one day I will.

By the way if you contact your local SEC, they may do adult traineeships, this may help you, there should be a decent rate of pay, and experience on offer plus the prospect of a employment afterwards.

These crash courses are bull ****. 4weeks to become a fully qualified electrician........what a joke! i study to become qualified for 4 1/2 years. and the only time i started learning was when i picked up a club hammer and bolster followed by a drill. you put one of these 'new electrician in 4weeks' in a house and say re-wire it. im pretty sure they will do a crao job and it will be unsafe installation. i think the whole structure is wrong. to become qualified you should have 3years practical experience followed by the qualifications and have an inspection of your work to prove you actually understand what it is you are doing.

had a moan,

carlos

Thanks for all the replies. I haven't forgotten about the thread, just doing a lot of research on the side so i know exactly which way to go. I've looked through this thread as well as others and understand that i really need to do the 2330 level 2 then 3 in order to get the basic's down, then i understand that theres another course i need to take in order to actually become a qualified electrician.

My local college is doing the 2330 level 2 which lasts 2 years, need to attend 3 evenings a week, which seems good. Im hoping to work in the industry alongside doing the course so that i get more experience as i go along and so that im already in the industry. Im 25 now, so over the age for apprentiships, so would anyone take me in on my current state of having no electrician knowledge?

bushynut, im guessing this is what you mean when you mentioned my local SEC? Didn't know who/what they were, so done a search and came up with "Southern Electric Contracting"? These the people?

Thanks for the help so far, you've all been a major help. Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back