Carpentry/maintenance job in hospital

I heard this is basically a repair/maintenance job and bores a half decent carpenter. Would it be a job you could learn on and not be that difficult for a handyman? I heard a lot of fire door repairs
Seriously for a moment - there will be drawbacks working for an organisation such as the NHS, and it will be very different to being self employed. But some huge benefits, Pension, Sick Pay, Holidays, guaranteed money....
It could be worth trying...

Sponsored Links
Got to get through the application/interview stage first and they may ask for evidence of what you have done in the past.
I once applied for a maintenance job that was going to be created in the near future. Had to show all my qualifications. including GCE's, apprenticeship indentures and qualifications I'd gained after qualifying. I was informed just before the 3 months was up that I had been elected and would be notified of the starting date. Two weeks after the closing date I was informed the position would not be created because of financial restructuring. Thankfully I had not handed in my notice with my current employer.

Sponsored Links
Not our place to say. Interview process will establish suitability for task
I once had to cover for a school caretaker for a few weeks because the one they employed had lied blindly to get the job.
He didn't know the difference between a nail and a screw.

There's a process for resolving that too, and for fixing the failures in the interview process that did not identify the suitability of the candidate. None of it takes away from the point that no one here is responsible for, nor morally should assume liability for, dissuading Ketai from applying for a job that interests them

If you have a problem with this, why are you on a forum?

The whole point of employing someone skilled to do a specific job, is usually one of expecting them to already know how to go about tackling a job, based on their own training, skill, and experience - it will not wash, if he has to go online, pose his question, then wait weeks for the answers.

I think they are looking for a handyman that can also do carpentry.. Job may involve locks replaced. Cabinet and furniture repairs. Shelves., blinds fitting and repairs. Fitting signs. Door closing repairs. Building callouts to isolate area and call contractors if you can't fix. Show contractors around. Check works. are completed correctly. Preventative maintenance on problem areas. Flooring and edging strips repairs. Blocked drains.and toilets maybe? Tiling repairs. Moving furniture and equipment. Assist with alarm testing. You will be going on loads of related courses.from asbestos to working at height. Risk assessment ect.. List goes on..

Oh. How to use power tools safely in the workshop.
First aider
Fire marshal
Know how to use evac chair
Have good IT skills to log jobs

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back