Carpentry/maintenance job in hospital

Sponsored Links
I once had to cover for a school caretaker for a few weeks because the one they employed had lied blindly to get the job.
He didn't know the difference between a nail and a screw.
Our school caretaker always carried an axe. If something needed cutting or shaving he used the sharp side of it, if something needed hammering he used the back of it. If it couldn't be fixed with an axe it was beyond his pay grade.

Sponsored Links
Don't you need to be FIRAS registered to touch fire doors?
Don't know latest regulations but in my time the school would have a fire safety inspection every year or an ad-hoc if needed.
So, at least in my times no.

Don't you need to be FIRAS registered to touch fire doors?
Not necessarily. You could just be suitably trained (ie say, how to nail a bit of glazing bead back on and with a suitable sealant), or repairs could be checked by a qualified person.

There are no rules, just demonstration that your process is adequate.

But "repairs" to any fire door are limited to the ironmongery, strips and glazing, and not repairs to the door blank.

I once had to cover for a school caretaker for a few weeks because the one they employed had lied blindly to get the job.
He didn't know the difference between a nail and a screw.
Was he from Birmingham?

Our school caretaker always carried an axe. If something needed cutting or shaving he used the sharp side of it, if something needed hammering he used the back of it. If it couldn't be fixed with an axe it was beyond his pay grade.
I still carry a hatchet on listed building work. Very handy for making up wooden plugs to fix timber grounds and sometimes skirtings to. Traditional technique which still has its' uses...

Was he from Birmingham?
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
No, but would've been great if he was...
I still carry a hatchet on listed building work. Very handy for making up wooden plugs to fix timber grounds and sometimes skirtings to. Traditional technique which still has its' uses...
I carry a very sharp hatchet everywhere because I live in London.....

I've never met you, but from what I have read on here I can guarantee that the work you do with your hatchet is vastly superior to anything that our school caretaker ever achieved with his axe.

As a caretaker in my last job in a college I simply refused to work on fire doors. I would check the gaps were correct with a special gauge the installers provided me with, (and showed how to use correctly), and if there was anything amiss, simply call out a qualified carpenter. Boss was happy with this arrangement because it was covered for in his budget and he knew it would be done correctly. Same with the smoke strips etc around the edges. If they started to peel away, I would push them back into place, then open and close the door a few times. If they moved then call someone out, if they stayed in place I'd keep an eye on them for the next few hours, I lot of students could go through in those few hours), and keep monitoring over the next few days if necessary.

I've never met you, but from what I have read on here I can guarantee that the work you do with your hatchet is vastly superior to anything that our school caretaker ever achieved with his axe.
The hatchet in a carpenter's kit has a very specific use: it is used to cut and adjust timber wedges and "propellors" (twisted wedges) which are then knocked into pockets created in the mortar joints of masonry walls by a club hammer and plugging chisel. These "plugs" are sawn off in line (these days far easier as we have lasers) and are used for fixing skirting boards, timber grounds, timber door and window reveal linings, etc. Most of the other tasks once done by the hatchet/axe are better done with other kit in your box such as a power planer or cordless circular saw these days (and in any case I like my hatchet to be and stay sharp enough to shave with), although another occasional use is the making up of setting out pegs for the surveyor from 2 x 1in softwood

Edit: Maybe I should have added that I know only one other chippie who actually has still got a hatchet in his kit. He's about retirement age and also works on listed buildings where timber plugging is still a regular requirement

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta get a reference to cover last three years, worst case scenario character reference. They called where I put. Very serious. I may just get a character reference. Will I learn much on the job?

Will I learn much on the job?
Good question. Possibly not much at all unless you are initially made an "understudy" to a more experienced wallah

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back