labouring for more experience

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Get paid rubbish money so if I labour I would like to learn while working with others. Want to learn some carpentry and other tip I can use on my handyman jobs. So helping a chippy hang a door would be great but carrying heavy crap about seems pointless to me. I earn twice the £60 labour money and be less tired so what's the point but how d do you get useful experience and avoid wasting your time?

Sponsored Links
Get paid rubbish money so if I labour I would like to learn while working with others. Want to learn some carpentry and other tip I can use on my handyman jobs. So helping a chippy hang a door would be great but carrying heavy crap about seems pointless to me. I earn twice the £60 labour money and be less tired so what's the point but how d do you get useful experience and avoid wasting your time?
Carrying heavy crap seems pointless?.. not a great attitude.

You need to find the right person and have the right attitude. You helping someone can slow work down and lead to mistakes so not many people would want to do that especially if your attitude is saying stuff is pointless.

I have trained lots of people in my life and young people in this day and age are the worst. Hands in the pocket, constantly on their phones and basically just not paying attention as soon as that happens I don’t bother with them don’t be that person if you are trying to learn something.

Sponsored Links
You need to find the right person and have the right attitude. You helping someone can slow work down and lead to mistakes so not many people would want to do that especially if your attitude is saying stuff is pointless.

I have trained lots of people in my life and young people in this day and age are the worst. Hands in the pocket, constantly on their phones and basically just not paying attention as soon as that happens I don’t bother with them don’t be that person if you are trying to learn something.

I won't. I get stuck in. Just saying learning nothing for £60 and bad back is pointless. If I can learn one thing then it's worth it

"Observe useful stuff" "not carry heavy stuff"...sounds like an apprentice I used to have,i grew tired off carrying him around.

I won't. I get stuck in. Just saying learning nothing for £60 and bad back is pointless. If I can learn one thing then it's worth it
How old are you,what qualifications do you have?intend to have,family commitments? Etc,,,what you want to do in life and what shhyte you end up doing are entirely different,,but certainly the right attitude is v v important

How old are you,what qualifications do you have?intend to have,family commitments? Etc,,,what you want to do in life and what shhyte you end up doing are entirely different,,but certainly the right attitude is v v important

fair play but surely if you get stuck in learning something is fair request

fair play but surely if you get stuck in learning something is fair request

If you work for a general builder or carpentry firm, you need to prove yourself. If you show hard work, initiative combined with the ability to do exactly thebtask as youve been trained, then you will get given more responsibilty and be paid more.

Builders want good labourers and an 'improver' that can get on and not mess stuff up, is worth a lot to them.

Any person willing to do the 'heavy, unpleasant stuff' with an attitude to get stuck in and learn will always stand out of the crowd and catch the eye of the boss. So when the day comes to 'downsize' the team, it will be the hard working individual who will be retained......a no brainer ;)

You haven't said what you doing presently; but the inference is that you would become something like "Rent a Hubby" or a "Professional DIYer" and be 'self-employed'.

Firstly get yourself a few basic skills in the chosen field (Carpenter & Joiner?). Have a look at the local college webpages for a general wooding skills course - I guess part time or evening classes. Or you may be very lucky with the right existing woodworking skills and the college will let you start at the 2nd Fix part of the course. Door hanging, Windows, Skirting and like the are defined as 2nd fix work.
Search General woodwork courses.

Whilst you learning you must expect to get some labouring types of work - my first apprenticeship days was making tea and sweeping up. There was also a lot of fetch & carrying... Eventually I was doing some actual making, fixing. Measuring and cutting came later.

Until you have proved your worth then the money will not be very good. If you get time with a skilled man then you will be slowing him down to an extent in some parts of the task and speeding him up in others but overall he will achieve less in a day so it is likely it will be affecting his money as well as paying yours.

If you wish to work on sites as a Carpenter then route you need to follow will be different and not so well paid at first.

Do think about the route you wish to take; even go to a small builders building site and ask to speak to the boss and explain what you wish to do and how you are going to achieve it - show the initiative as suggested above.

Finally - get rid of your 'smart' phone so you not tempted to 'play' whilst at work.

You haven't said what you doing presently; but the inference is that you would become something like "Rent a Hubby" or a "Professional DIYer" and be 'self-employed'.

Firstly get yourself a few basic skills in the chosen field (Carpenter & Joiner?). Have a look at the local college webpages for a general wooding skills course - I guess part time or evening classes. Or you may be very lucky with the right existing woodworking skills and the college will let you start at the 2nd Fix part of the course. Door hanging, Windows, Skirting and like the are defined as 2nd fix work.
Search General woodwork courses.

Whilst you learning you must expect to get some labouring types of work - my first apprenticeship days was making tea and sweeping up. There was also a lot of fetch & carrying... Eventually I was doing some actual making, fixing. Measuring and cutting came later.

Until you have proved your worth then the money will not be very good. If you get time with a skilled man then you will be slowing him down to an extent in some parts of the task and speeding him up in others but overall he will achieve less in a day so it is likely it will be affecting his money as well as paying yours.

If you wish to work on sites as a Carpenter then route you need to follow will be different and not so well paid at first.

Do think about the route you wish to take; even go to a small builders building site and ask to speak to the boss and explain what you wish to do and how you are going to achieve it - show the initiative as suggested above.

Finally - get rid of your 'smart' phone so you not tempted to 'play' whilst at work.

Got site carpentry level 2 from evening classes. Learnt so much more when have worked with a carpenter though. Got to keep asking I guess. I won't be availabe five days a week every week but still a few days all i can do is ask

I just have a go on my own gaff if there's anything I want to get to grips with along with asking those who are well equipped with the right knowledge for advice and reading online.

If you **** the job, you learn from it.

You want to get experience doing honest work without getting exploited.

It depends on what part of the country you are in. In London you will likely be chewed up and spat out, especially if you go through agencies. My advice would be to find a small firm in your local area. Try to avoid firms that employ lots of migrants as the working conditions are likely to be grim, this is because the company wants to pay as little for labour as they can legally get away with.

You will likely find it will take a few jobs until you find an employer that is not a complete scum bag ****. Just keep going and remember that only you can depend on yourself. Do not expect anyone else to be thinking of your interests, learning, etc. Standing up for yourself is one of the key skills, and you will only learn that from facing difficult situations and difficult people.

Sponsored Links
Back