Cast iron soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this post is best off in building or plumbing, but I'll try it here first of all.

The problem I've got is we have an old 4" cast iron soil pipe on the outside of the house, and where this joins to the clay drain pipe, part of the clay has broken away.

I don't really want to replace the cast iron if at all possible as it's going to mean damaging the rendering outside and the bathroom tiles inside which is an absoloute last resort.

There is also a gulley trap near here which has broken too. This has a square salt glazed grate cover which I'm hoping to re-use on top of a new PVC trap.

I was thinking that it would be easiest to replace all the clay pipe up until just after the tee, and joint on to the old clay pipe with one of those rubber adaptors with the jubilee clips round it, but I'm not sure how to join from the new PVC pipe back on to the old cast iron pipe.

I was wondering if I just slotted the iron pipe into a PVC socket and then sealed the joint with some mastic if that would be good enough or if there's a proprietry thing available for the task.

I've added some pics so you can see what I mean.

Old gulley trap
419e10ca.jpg

Cast iron to clay joint
1593195f.jpg

Existing layout
ac8a107d.jpg

What I'm proposing
drain.jpg

Overall view
b29d63c5.jpg

Any thoughts or suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Your plan to replace the pipe-work to just beyond the 'y' junction sounds good and you can use a fernco type coupler at both ends i.e. salt glaze and iron.

However if rodding access has ever been a problem then it would be an ideal time to fit a mini access chamber whilst you have access.

I did wonder about replacing the y joint with one of those mini access chambers.

I don't think there's ever been an issue before and there is a large access chamber about 4 or 5 m away but this lot tees into another pipe before there.

Are those couplers available in different sizes for the salt glaze and the iron? i've used one onto salt glaze before, but that's about 5½" outside diameter, so obviously will be too big for the iron.

thanks for your help so far.

Sponsored Links
If it was me, I would do a clean cut not far from the elbow and use the flex-seal. The problem I find with old clay pipes you have to be very very careful when breaking it away which could disturb more problem further down the line, sometime it's best to leave these alone unless you're confident not damaging any pipes

This is why I was going to replace all the pipework to just past the Y joint.

This will leave me with just one joint on to the old clay pipe, which I will cut square with my sthil saw.

The gulley and all the pipework upto the Y joint is half set in concrete so there's no way I'll be able to replace the gulley without causing damage to the pipework. After the Y it seems to be just buried direct in to the soil.

Well spent all day sweating my bits off and digging through concrete, but got there in the end.

Does this look ok?

d91dabe6.jpg

8935b398.jpg

Excellent.

Only criticism (nit-pick) would be the lack of a swept rest bend at the foot of the iron stack. Unlikely to affect the running though. ;)

Great job - well thought out and well carried out.

What poor, original design - was this a pre-war, ex-council house?

Noseall,

I'm referring to the siting of the S&V pipe slap bang in the entranceway - there are a number of design issues there.

Excellent.

Only criticism (nit-pick) would be the lack of a swept rest bend at the foot of the iron stack. Unlikely to affect the running though. ;)
Sorry Nose , but the rest bend ( beloved of Council build inspectors ) is only necessary on a single stack system ;) it`s the old chestnut of water/air compressing @ the bottom of the stack . Serving one WC , like @ the OP`s , it`s fine as is , as you surmised

House is a private built house, completed in 1959.

I've chucked some concrete down the hole today to support the pipe and to set the gulley in place. Just need to back fill and re-lay the paving slabs once thats gone off.

Not bad for a sparky :LOL:

Damn you , sparky you`ve done a good job - and you know Ohm`s Law - I`d have been a spark if I could`ve understood maths ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back