Caste Metal Light Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing the open wire and plastic light fitting with a conduit and an old metal light switch or repro switch. The wiring has an earth but one of the switches has only two entry points for wires The other has three so I presume one for an earth.

If I use the one with only two entry points what do I do with the earth wire and would they both be equally safe if there is a way of securing the earth wire in some way ?

The square box is the one with only two entry points for wires

Thanks
WP_20171223_002(1).jpg

Attachments

• WP_20171223_001.jpg
    WP_20171223_001.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 584
Sponsored Links
You need to earth the metal parts including the BESA box and the conduit (which is through the BESA box being earthed AND the conduit being tight in the thread). If you look at the BESA box, you will see there is a M4 tapped hole thats helpfully been provided with a brass machine screw (there seems to be a similar earthing point on the switch - although its not clear how this has been done! as this just appears to be a box lid with a toggle switch fitted through it.) You need a suitable 4mm ring crimp to connect onto the M4 bolts. Whats the other end of the conduit, have you got a suitable bush on it... I am of course assuming its not part of a continuous containment system

Sponsored Links
The wiring has an earth but one of the switches has only two entry points for wires The other has three so I presume one for an earth.

No.

Not correct at all.

The switch with three terminals is a 2 way switch. You must not connect an earth to those three terminals. There is an earth terminal on the metalwork of the switch faceplate.

Thanks Sparkwright I get it now. I have a bush to go on the other end which will be flush to the ceiling. I can see the rounded switch fitting has the earth terminal on the metal plate.

The wiring is old so am I correct in that the red wire is connected to com and the black to L1 ?

As there is no fitting for the earth wire on the other switch is there anything I can do so it can be used ?

Both photos were sent the same way so you could see the detail

Thanks

wp_20171223_001-jpg.133205

Looks thick enough to drill and tap a 4mm hole in the rear face and earth it same as your round box
Be carefull not to crack the porcelain switch, personally i would take the guts out till the box is sorted and fixed to the wall

I'd do as rocky says... you can buy M4 rethreaders if you don't have a set of taps.

But you MUST earth it, the reason it doesn't have an earth terminal is because it was expected to be installed as part of a complete conduit installation where the conduit was the earth

The wiring is old so am I correct in that the red wire is connected to com and the black to L1 ?

That is one way of doing it. You could also connect the red to L1 and the black to common, it does not really matter. But you should put a red sleeve on the black wire.

That is one way of doing it. You could also connect the red to L1 and the black to common, it does not really matter. But you should put a red sleeve on the black wire.
Recently had to change all the red sleeves to brown, wherever changes had been made on a referb, before the inspector would accept.

Recently had to change all the red sleeves to brown, wherever changes had been made on a referb, before the inspector would accept.
Are you talking about multi-core cables (T&E or whatever), such that you ended up having a cable with one conductor identified by black red and the other by brown?

If so, is that even allowed? Mixing 'old' and harmonised colours in the same cable seems very odd!

Kind Regards, John

Last edited:
If all the install is Red and Black, it makes sense to mark Red, however if some Brown already exists, then i would sleeve both Red and Black cores Brown and check for a Label at CU

Would that not leave you with one Red and a Black marked Brown

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back