cat in garden

I have never known a cat to leave its business anywhere but to always bury it. Are you sure it was the neighbours cat?

I have seen similar stools and on patches of lawn area but they were from a fox as foxes will leave theirs.

Animals dont like lemon. You could always leave a few lemon wedges where they are going mostly.....?

Sponsored Links
I have never known a cat to leave its business anywhere but to always bury it. Are you sure it was the neighbours cat?

They definitely do. I've seen my neighbours cats leaving huge mounds on my lawn.

...I've seen my neighbours cats leaving huge mounds on my lawn...

...cats are territorial. They only foul areas that are uninhabited (by cats)

so if you befriend the cat, so that it looks on your garden as its home, it will not foul there. If necessary, it will use a loose flower bed and bury its waste...
etc

so clearly your garden is sufficiently cat-free for them not to mind fouling it.

funny thing, people who don't like cats suffer most, and cat lovers suffer least.

Sponsored Links
but in their own territory they will bury it neatly, because they like their homes to be clean. In an unoccupied garden they may just leave it, like a dog or fox would, even on a path or lawn.

buried waste rots away very quickly, with help from soil bacteria, beetles and worms.

Mine doesn't, it drives me insane. I want rid but the kids will be heart broken!

Simply being outside a lot helps too as the cat gets nervous and leaves, especially if it's chased out or has a brick chucked at .
The urine does reduce their presence too we've tried this at the bottom of our garden where cats used to enter.
On a similiar note about the sonic alarms-
We recently had for sale on e-bay a job lot of musical birthday and christmas cards and recieved a question. We were asked if the tune continues to play and play once the card is opened, which they did.
The reason?
The questioner who later became the buyer said that he used them to drive away MOLES who pressumably have taste and dislike the tacky sound of the cards.
On another similiar note a recent news programme on radio 4 they visited an alotment plagued by deer. They set up sensors which turned on radio 4 when deer, or any animal for that matter ,entered the area.Aparently deer don't like the sound of human voices :rolleyes:

I don't mind cats in the garden per se as they do discourage and eliminate mice/rats. I agree with the comment about most cats being wary of strangers unless they are very mild mannered breed such as ragdolls. Maybe the urine trick will work, but have to do it when the neighbours are out :LOL:

you can sometimes buy lion dung "silent roar" collected from zoos, it makes them think that the garden is home to a very large cat.

The cat will undoubtably know it comes from another feline,but how exactly does the cat know it comes from a very large cat? Unless it watches David Attenborough... :D I would have thought crap from any type of cat would have the same effect.

Ask the missus to get you an early Chrimbo present...

00035293.jpg

Animals dont like lemon. You could always leave a few lemon wedges where they are going mostly.....?

you are dead right, i was up the pub last night with my neighbours cat and he definately only had ice in his G&T

I would have thought crap from any type of cat would have the same effect.

what about if i eat catfood and then poo in my own garden, at least that way i would know where it is i could put a silver milk bottle top on it and pretend its a night light

:eek:

well if you've tried all the suggestions already made, I doubt we'll think of any more.

I can supply still warm poo at £5 a lump. You'll need to supply sundries; a Tika curry, beer and a copy of Event Horizon.

I'd try one of those sonic repellers first. Get a decent one if it's a fairly big garden (so it's loud), and position it / point it close to and at the place where the cat is coming into the garden.

We've had five cats at one point, and they can only get into the garden by climbing down the wall or tree, because the walls are too high for even a kitty to jump off. So, in my garden, I'd stick the generator right by those.

If it does nothing over a week, take it back and get a refund (this will be much easier if you buy it from a big chain store like Tescos, were the £10 means nothing as they haul in tens of thousands a day per store).

Cats aren't interested in their own reflection, or pictures of cats.

But, I found a funny looking plastic cat at a garden centre one day, with neon green eyes and a face on it that actually upsets quite a lot of people (looks like the cheshire cat). Surprisingly, I put it down in front of one of the moggies facing them, and it jumped and started walking backwards.

Make sure there is no catnip in the garden, they will also be magnetically attracted to running water, thinking a fish might appear if they wait for a few hours.

My neighbour has a pond and gets annoyed by the cats. They'd run up there, catch a frog, bring it back, we'd catch the unharmed frog, carry it back up there and the cat would be trying to weave back out of the house to get another in the meantime.

He had a water fire extinguisher and would squirt the cats from the back door, then charge it back up with a foot pump. Having a garden hose with a spray gun right next to the window would help.

If possible, wait for them to get half way through laying one down so it's harder for them to run off as you open the door or window.

Getting rid of catnip isn't too much of a problem, but your pond or water feature would be (unless you don't like it anyway). Spraying them takes effort, as they'll sneak in when you're not there.

The scent based methods do tend to wash off, or just get ignored. Even if you have a dog, the cat will sit on the wall and wait for the dog to go in.

They're pretty darn tricky to get rid of if they're intent on getting in there. Which leaves the sonic repeller or trying a hose.

If you go the hose route, really get on top of it for a few weeks and try to soak them (you have to get cat like cunning, and wait for them to get into a situation they can't easily run away from - which they don't often do).

Alternatively, if there's only one or two ways in, you can think of novel ways of physically blocking them. Pins on the walls don't work so well, as they can step over them.

Oh... most cats also hate anything that looks or sounds like a snake. Even the shape of the hose (if it's moving) will scare them. If it makes a hiss or rattle sound, they'll run away too. E.g. if I open a bin bag, get out the tin foil or put some deodorant on, they think most of those are a snake in a can.

As a reference, there's an episode of Black Books in series 3 where the owner of the building Bernard's shop is in dies, and it's past on to his cat. The cat then increases the rent. Bernard gets so sick of it, he tries paying a rentokill guy £1k to 'do it in', saying he'll stick a knife in it's back afterwards, hide in the library and say it was professor plum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back