cat insurance?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i have never owned a cat but thinking of gettin one but worried of any future vet bills, so if i get insurance will this cover and bills or not, sorrry im new to pet owning, if so any recommendations?

Sponsored Links
After our previous cat needed an MRI scan costing £1000, which we paid for, we said that any future cats that we own will be insured.

The cat we have now is insured with RSPCA pet insurance. I think we pay about £8 a month for gold level, and if my memory serves me, we are covered for £5000 per condition, paying a £75 excess for each condition.

We made a claim for an operation 2 years ago, and he has recently been diagnosed with over-active thyroid and needs tablets costing £25 pm. This will be for life, and as he's about 11 yrs old (not sure - rescue cat??), could be a few years yet - hopefully.

It has definitely benefited us, and you could say that we have had our money's worth. You don't miss £8 per month, and it's good to know that whatever happens, and things will happen, you don't have to worry about the bills. Vets bill have gone up a lot in recent years, and just a blood test and consultation can come to over £100, even before you start to treat the problem. It soon mounts up, so wouldn't consider not being insured.

The little bugger is going in for dental work next week. Bang goes another £280. Not sure if the dental is covered though.

If you haven't got a cat yet, don't forget to have a look at your local rescue centres. We always take on older cats. There's loads that need a second chance. Kittens are fine, but can take more looking after, and aren't always ideal if you are out at work all day. Also, cat's under 2 years old and busy roads aren't a good idea.

Ian

cheers mate, so if u for example with your cats tabs costing 20+ a month do you pay that or insurance pay that as you said you have 70 odd excess, sorry im new and am only thinking of it at mo but worried about vet bills as in general cats im guessin are cheap to keep, also are looking at rspc cats

If it was a one off treatment, say a big op, you pay the vet's bill, then claim from the insurance co. If the operation was needed for a new condition, you get back the cost of the operation minus the £75 excess.

With our cat's thyroid condition, it's long term. We pay for the tablets as we go along, and have decided to put a claim in every 6 months. The first claim we got the money for 6 month's tablets minus the £75 excess, but all future thyroid tablet claims will be paid in full by ins. co. You only pay the £75 excess once for each new condition.

I think some insurance companies may pay the vets direct. We went with RSPCA in 2006, because it was the best deal at the time. Check with your vet if you want to find ins. cos. that pay direct.

Hope this makes sense.

Sponsored Links
cheers mate yeah makes sense now, will look into insurance first, cant get quote cause they all ask for cats info and we not actualy got one yet,

Personally, I've never insured my cats.

Had the current one for 6 or 7 years now and she's somewhere around 14 years old (stray that just turned up one day, so difficult to know exactly how old she is).

When she arrived she had a tumor above one eye and it cost me a couple of hundred to get that removed and get all her jabs done.

Since then, nothing except the odd visit to the vet to get claws clipped (NO WAY am I doing that myself!)

Ok, something serious might happen and she might need major treatment but I've always said that at the end of the day she's only a cat. If and when that day comes I'll have to have her put to sleep, be sad for a bit, and then probably get another one.

hi i have never owned a cat but thinking of gettin one

Marvellous news.

No litter tray required, just let it out to crap on your neighbours lawn

No-one cares anymore about the irresponsibility regarding cats on this forum.

F*ck it........ buy two of 'em.

We insure both our dogs. You take a risk not insuring them but if nothing ever goes wrong then you've saved all that insurance money!

Personally, i'm not taking the chance!

We insure both our dogs. You take a risk not insuring them but if nothing ever goes wrong then you've saved all that insurance money!

Personally, i'm not taking the chance!

Thing that gets me with people i deal with when they say to me i won't insure my dog as it's a lot of expense and hopefully they won't be ill.

personally i insure mine more for the sake if they caused damage to anyone or anything rather than illness.

It's not all about paying out for vet bills.
Half these people are under insured for the type of dog they own. :rolleyes:

hi i have never owned a cat but thinking of gettin one but worried of any future vet bills, so if i get insurance will this cover and bills or not, sorrry im new to pet owning, if so any recommendations?
Sorry to put a downer on you fella, but what good is a cat? It won't protect your house,you cant take it for a walk and will crap on your neighbours gardens causing problems. If you need comfort and a pussy to stroke, look on the internet :D

Sponsored Links
Back