Vet's Bill.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On 9 July I took my cat to a vet recommended by a friend as cheaper than my own vet.

I asked for an estimate for dental work. I was never at any stage told there would be a charge: I presumed if there was, I would have been asked to settle at the time of the visit.

After a check lasting a few minutes, I got a verbal estimate for £200 - £250, told him I would think about it and left.

Fast forward to 16th September. I find a bill from the vet on my doormat for £29.40 for a consultation.

It is dated 18th July. I have not missed any post, nor have there been any reminders.

What would you do?

Sponsored Links
A grey area, maybe a receptionist error, forgot to charge you for the consultation before leaving?

I think you have to pay for the consultation fee before any estimation?

Just paid £345 for a tooth removal on my cat :cry:

You will have to pay it SP.

Had you had the cat treated the consultancy fee would have been included in the estimate. They have probably left it until now to bill you, to give you a reasonable time to save up and return for the treatment.

Unfortunately vets don't do anything for nothing :(

Sponsored Links
I had a very similar thing happen to me 15 years ago.
I took my dog to the vet to ask how much it would be to remove a rotten tooth on the bottom front.
The dog was put on the bench and checked over.
Eventually when pushed the vet gave me the price to remove the tooth.
I thanked the vet and went to leave. That's when the vet asked me to pay for a full clinical examination.
I reminded her that the purpose of my visit was to get a price for a tooth removal. I then thanked her for doing the examination but told her I wouldn't be paying for it.
I heard no more about it.
MY advice, don't pay.

A grey area, maybe a receptionist error, forgot to charge you for the consultation before leaving?

I think you have to pay for the consultation fee before any estimation?

Just paid £345 for a tooth removal on my cat :cry:

Hi mason, long time no see, so to speak!

So would you pay or not?

I paid £250 for my cat's extraction.

Secure - did you use the vet in question or a different one?

Did you sign an agreement for the consultation fee?

If a different vet and you can hand on heart say "no" to the second question (written or verbally), then leave it and wait and see. If they follow up, send them an invoice for £50 for your time ;)

when you phoned up what where you booking??
a consultancy ??
or what??
you are entering a professionals place off work without a clear agreement
you know professionals charge for there services unless you have a "free consultation" you should expect a charge

if you have these pets why not have pet insurance?
Don't be silly it's not money spent on themselves.

With the cost of pet care its silly not to have.
Given up on pets, dogs died on me ( old age nothing else) hated it. So never again.
Several friend have pets and the costs are stupid, only one took out insurance, but saved her almost 2 grand in bills with her stupid cat.
PS hate cats because I can :D

One of my brother's cat's was hit by a car on a busy main road a few years ago. He took it to the vet's who said "Ahh we can save this cat."
Brother, agreed and the cat was hospitalised for a few weeks. When the cat came home, it was accompanied by a rather hefty bill (around £800). A few months later he was due to go on holiday when the cat was taken ill again. Another trip to the vet's and the cat was again hospitalised. The first day of his holiday in Crete was interrupted by a phone call from the vet saying the cat had died. "Ahh well , we are able to offer a cremation service for the ex cat and his ashes will be returned to you in a tastefully designed box, complete with a plaque on it with the cat's name etc. About a month later the vet's phone him at home telling him the cat's remains are now ready for pickup (How long does it take to cremate a bloody cat???) He goes to pick up what's left of the poor animal, and settle the bill . Crikey this bill is now another £400, which includes £90 for the cremation and £40 for the tasteful wooden box complete with a plastic plaque and rubber bung in the bottom. (had to get the ashes in somehow) ;) ;)

I think the vet went on a Caribbean cruise the week after) ;) ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Back