Cat5 for power supply to MagLock

I didn't realise that was an option - hadn't looked at the maglock interface in detail. That would be a neat feature - would I be right thinking the same CAt5 cable could do this, I'm not sure if he would be expecting to use all the pairs of wires or if some would be unused/available. Perhaps he expects to do this anyway and that's another reason for using this, would it be standard practice?
I'm afraid that I have no idea as to what can be done, what is normally done or what is 'standard practice' - but, as I said, thinking just on a 'common sense' basis, there would be little point in remotely activating the lock of a door/gate if it were not 'properly closed', so it would be nice to have some means of confirming that it was closed!

If the current requirement of the maglock is modest (such that voltage drop was not a major issue), then it might well not be necessary to use all the pairs of wires for it - so there might be some 'spare'.

Hopefully others will have familiarity with these things, and how they are usually used!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Most mag locks if have a relay built in to add indication of state if required ...
Thanks. Does that 'indication of state' include an indication of whether the door/gate is actually closed, as well as whether or not the lock has been activated?

Kind Regards, John

No you run whatever via the relay ....led or buzzer in most door access systems this would log door state or on some door entry phones indicate door state

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Does that 'indication of state' include an indication of whether the door/gate is actually closed, as well as whether or not the lock has been activated?

Kind Regards, John
They have N/O and N/C contacts as well as some also having a colour changing Led on the unit, the instructions say its a magnetic senser, so i assume it only indicates when the striker plate is close enough to the lock body to assume its locked.
In addition some have an adjustable door held open time.

Most also have a switch to convert the same unit from 12 volt to 24 volt

A typical mag lock instructions
https://docs.rs-online.com/04c0/0900766b81582731.pdf

Though for a gate I would have thought its more common to use one of these that uses power to unlock, but would not moniter gate status

shopping

Last edited:
You can get a monitored release ,But not weatherproof for a start ....plus one hard push and they break inside ...

This is the actual unit we're aiming for: https://www.locksonline.co.uk/Acces...-IGEM-5000G-external-magnetic-Gate-Locks.html (datasheet: https://www.locksonline.co.uk/docs/pdf/LocksOnline-LOL-5000G-Grade-316-Stainless-Maglock-.pdf)

I hadn't noticed but it does explicitly mention monitoring N/O N/C, though I couldn't see a diagram of the terminals. Would this typically be something you could wire directly to a low-voltage component like a LED/buzzer you'd use in school projects, or would it have to be used for a relay/etc since the power will be tiny?

Another query I had on the CAT5 thing... how do you actually join a regular cable (live+earth) to this? Is there a standard fitting or will the sparky just solder/wire it up?

Look at the link in post#35 they have screw terminals behind the cover. they are only for small cables.
Not really designed for T+E lighting cable, the entry hole is only usually about 6mmround
Cat 5 will fit and likely be fine, but its solid core, personally i would have used alarm cable as its stranded
No power comes out of NO/NC they are just contacts that work in conjunction with the COM contact, the installer would need to wire it in as needbe

images

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back