Cats and foxes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently planted a new flower bed and put down some bark chip on the top but i am still gettting lots of holes and pooh from some animals any suggestions on how to stop these animals from straying on to my flower bed?

Sponsored Links
Get a cat! They usually don't cr*p in their own garden. Failing that you can get stuff you put down, I don't think it's terribly effective. Alternatives

Orange peel is said to deter cats again, I don't reckon this would be very effective.

Grow prickly plants aminals don't like it up 'em.

Get a gun!

I'm told most animals avoid the scent of large male carnivores.

That's you.

Bury bits of unwashed sweaty vest, and wee on the flowerbed.

the sonic ones work quite well. You can pick them up for about £25, but they can be heard by teenagers as well!

Sponsored Links
Thermo said:
the sonic ones work quite well. You can pick them up for about £25, but they can be heard by teenagers as well!

Well that,s a bonus then................... :LOL:

absolutley true. We were working on a job a few weeks ago where the next door neighbour had one. my teenage apprentice could hear it and it drove him nuts. I know there is a device that shops can install and the police use to deter youths congregating. They have a higher sensitivity to high pitched noises.

Shame we worked there for a week! :LOL:

I've found Get Off My Garden Scatter Crystals (Vapet) very effective, i'd reccomend getting a few bottles and putting fresh crystals down every few weeks.

Yes get your self a cat...

badpets18xt0.jpg

That should sort it................ :LOL:

I picked up 2 sonic scarers for £30 on ebay (£9.99 each plus postage).
They've made a big difference. I wouldn't pay the DIY store prices.
I think they're totally environmentally unfriendly and should only be bought if you've a real problem.

I've already posted my petition on here but here goes again:
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/BanRoamingPets/

Another problem is that the animal welfare bill that came in was supposed to bring in codes of conduct that said cat owners should keep their cats in at night. These have been delayed which is bizarre as the MPs have basically voted on a law when its not been decided what most of the law is going to be.

JamesA said:
Another problem is that the animal welfare bill that came in was supposed to bring in codes of conduct that said cat owners should keep their cats in at night.
It's been coupled with the noise abatement bill that prohibts birds from singing before 7 a.m coupled with the giving powers to the police to serve ASBO's on birds that s**t on cars :LOL:

Eddie M said:
It's been coupled with the noise abatement bill that prohibts birds from singing before 7 a.m coupled with the giving powers to the police to serve ASBO's on birds that s**t on cars :LOL:
:) Well crafted.
Frankly, I know loads of people who think it is a real problem though.

Eddie M said:
They usually don't cr*p in their own garden.
Thats the problem, a lot of cat owners don't actually realise this and still believe the myth that cats are clean animals and bury it all.
I was talking to a cat owner who insisted that cats don't poo in peoples gardens.
I offered to give him the 200/300 pieces of evidence from the last 2 years, but he wasn't interested :)

goodmow, the other thing is to make sure you remove it on the day it appears. If there's any there, other animals will add theirs to cover the scent with their own.
Either throw it over next door (if your 100% sure its them!) or I wrap it in newspaper and bury it in a hole.

I got the sonic scarers as a last resort after all the other things failed.

JamesA said:
I've already posted my petition on here but here goes again:
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/BanRoamingPets/

Another problem is that the animal welfare bill that came in was supposed to bring in codes of conduct that said cat owners should keep their cats in at night. These have been delayed which is bizarre as the MPs have basically voted on a law when its not been decided what most of the law is going to be.

Are you a Daily Mail reader by any chance? :rolleyes:

"Submitted by James Agnini – Deadline to sign up by: 12 May 2007 – Signatures: 53"

Looks like a no-hoper to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back