causes for an electric oven to fail....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Late last year my friend's electric oven stopped working. She bought a new element from a local appliance shop and replaced it successfully (following utube guidance!).

It worked.... till this week. So 2 months no problem. She was going to start looking for a new oven but I told her to go back to the shop. After all, an element should work for longer than 2 months no?

Is there a chance they might claim it was her fitting that caused it to fail, or something else to do with the electrics, rather than a faulty element?

My thinking is that if it worked for 2 months, she must have fitted it correctly. And after all, it's just a question of pushing the spade connectors in so not much you can do wrong surely.

Hence it must be the element at fault. Or am I missing something?

Sponsored Links
Not a lot to go wrong when replacing the element, but....
If, for example you have a fan oven, and the fan isn't working or is going slower than intended - then pop goes the element.
Time to get busy with the multimeter (very carefully) to check if the element is getting a 250v supply, and take things from there.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back