CCTV and ANPR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been whatching a program where trails in Stoke on Trent linking the ANPR into CCTV camaras, the trial was so successful its intended to be used throughout the country.

About time as its catching more than just road traffic offences. only problem we'll need more traffic cops, can we afford them.

Big brother is here to stay.

Sponsored Links
ANPR is everywhere. When I drive into Doncaster town centre now, my number plate is read by 4 small cameras on the roundabout - pointed at the 4 lanes of traffic entering the RA. Why they put ANPR cameras here I dont know. I guess if they detect a rogue car it can alert town CCTV ops who track the car until police get behind it.

When I drive into the Tesco car park, my plates are read, if I stay there more than 2 hours, they will post a £70 parking charge to my home.

When I drive to Manchester, several cameras read my number plates to check I'm not travelling too fast between them.

New CCTV cameras are being erected on the main road near my house as part of a big bus lane scheme. I can now be followed right across Doncaster by CCTV operators - from Lakeside to my locality at the north of Doncaster.

I dont mind though. Nothing to hide. Even if i had something to hide, I wouldnt be worried, because the sentences handed out are so lenient they might as well not bother.

clf-gas, with the CCTV/ANPR picking up on rogue cars, will we really need more traffic cops or less? Think about it. With the number plate data, the fine / summons / etc could be posted straight to the persons home address, and enforcement officers sent round if they dont pay. It would be very easy to do this in cases such as no insurance or driving on a SORN, since if your not on the databases the case is closed, full stop. Of course, traffic cops could be directed in if a stolen car is detected, or a car flagged as "suspicious" on the database.

The possibilities are endless.

Sponsored Links
When I drive into the Tesco car park, my plates are read, if I stay there more than 2 hours, they will post a £70 parking charge to my home.
Nice and easy this one ... Cover them up before you drive in.

The Road Traffic Act doesn't apply to private land and you have no legal obligation whatsoever to display your number plate to their cameras ;)

I have it on good authority that this has been tested through the courts.

MW

Find a car the same as yours. Same type and colour and get some plates made up. All correspondence will then go to the other owners address.

How do they get your address? Isn't it covered by data protection legislation?

Nah!

DVLA have been selling registration details to all and sundry for years now.

It SHOULD be protected by DP but this Government pretty much do what they like regarding personal rights.

MW

We should all clone Gordon Brown's wife's number plate and see how he likes it :LOL:

Find a car the same as yours. Same type and colour and get some plates made up. All correspondence will then go to the other owners address.

Wait until someone does it to you my friends car had been cloned and used in a robbery.

Luckily for him he was 100miles away and the CCTV & credit card evidence proved his statement.

clf-gas, with the CCTV/ANPR picking up on rogue cars, will we really need more traffic cops or less? Think about it. With the number plate data, the fine / summons / etc could be posted straight to the persons home address, and enforcement officers sent round if they dont pay. It would be very easy to do this in cases such as no insurance or driving on a SORN, since if your not on the databases the case is closed, full stop. Of course, traffic cops could be directed in if a stolen car is detected, or a car flagged as "suspicious" on the database.

TBH steve i think we would require more traffic cops, last nights program found Drugs, weapons, cons and illegals, think if they are driving they wont be caught dealing and so on. Forget summonses for driving with no tax and more so insurance, take the car and if found repeat offending crush it. The trouble with most of these driving without tax mot, ect, is they are the ones likely to drive off after an incident.

More of these camaras and take death off the roads, make him get the bus.

The names Craig, BTW. ;)

Sponsored Links
Back