CCTV BNC connectors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,I'm needing to set up a couple of budget eBay CCTV cameras around my home,but notice that these cameras come with only 45cm of cable with a BNC connector on the end and a connector for 12v.

Are these connectors waterproof,since it looks like they'll need to be outside?and also is there a way to remove the connectors from the extension cables and refit new ones so that I don't need to drill massive holes in my walls to get the bulky connectors through.

I've never come across BNC connectors before. :)

Sponsored Links
BNC connectors are not waterproof.
If you cut the connector off then it will be very difficult to fit a new one as they are not likely to be a standard size.

Thanks for your reply,so if the connectors aren't waterproof how should I properly join the 'extension' cable to the 45cm of cable that's on the cameras?

what we do is put up an IP65 plastic (usually 4 x 4) box outside and use that for sticking the cable from the camera and the extention cable going to your DVR.

yes you can get extension cables, try Ebay

Oasis

dont cut the cable on the camera!!
as its a bit of a pin to re connect!!

Sponsored Links
what we do is put up an IP65 plastic (usually 4 x 4) box outside and use that for sticking the cable from the camera and the extention cable going to your DVR.

yes you can get extension cables, try Ebay

Oasis

dont cut the cable on the camera!!
as its a bit of a pin to re connect!!

Many thanks,I've been scratching my head looking for the answer,but it all seems so obvious now.

I usually drill through the wall where the camera's going and feed the short lead through, then connect inside. Better than having adaptable boxes adjacent to each camera.
Although if you don't want the inconvenience of cabling inside, you've no choice.

Obviously the hole through the wall needs to be big enough to get the plugs through without any damage. And protect them before pulling through.

On some or most domestics it is not a way of connectivity. Also connections in voids are to be avoided and in fact frowned upon by the nice bodies ruling.
A camera can be mounted onto the adaptable box and look like it was meant to be there.
This is a reason I like certain dome cameras and CaT5e cable and baluns, as all connections can be made inside the dome and be waterproof. A far neater situation.
Of course if your fitting PTZ with IR and heaters/washers another box isnt going to be too much of an eyesore.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back