CCTV Cameras

However, per some of the edits you added after I started writing this
Sorry for the edits! :)
I had found the diameter of the gold atom, but then came across conflicting information about the number of atoms in a specific layer thickness.
So I stopped short of suggesting what the area would be at 23 atoms thick.

...then I went back to first principles!

Using Avogadro's constant, 1cm³ of gold would have 5.91x10^22 atoms.
...cube rooted = 38'951'946 atoms per side.
...at suggested 23 atoms thick, that would be 1'693'562 cm² slices.
...19.32g (1cm³ of gold) = 169m² at 23 atoms thick.
...8.75m²/g
...Troy ounce = 31.103g

...the area of one Troy ounce of gold at 23 atoms thick = 272m²

...well, that's my guess anyway! ;)

Sponsored Links
I had found the diameter of the gold atom, but then came across conflicting information about the number of atoms in a specific layer thickness.
So I stopped short of suggesting what the area would be at 23 atoms thick....
Yes, I realise that, but I 'stuck my neck out' and undertook calculations on the (as I admitted, undoubtedly incorrect) assumption that one could cram the atoms together such that their 'diameters' (which, itself, is a suspect concept) were in contact.
...then I went back to first principles!
Using Avogadro's constant, 1cm³ of gold would have 5.91x10^22 atoms.
Agreed.
...cube rooted = 38'951'946 atoms per side.
...at suggested 23 atoms thick, that would be 1'693'562 cm² slices.
...19.32g (1cm³ of gold) = 169m² at 23 atoms thick.
...8.75m²/g
...Troy ounce = 31.103g
...the area of one Troy ounce of gold at 23 atoms thick = 272m²
Again, I can find no fault with your calculation.
...well, that's my guess anyway! ;)
I would say that 'guess' is somewhat of un understatement!

Kind Regards, John

I had a go making up the cable, soldering together a coax cable onto a phono cable. I even found a lens from another camera that I swapped over.

I tried it on the TV and I now have a signal comming into the TV. But it is just a fuzz with and with out the lens

Attachments

• IMGA0287.JPG
    IMGA0287.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMGA0292.JPG
    IMGA0292.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 35
I had a go making up the cable, soldering together a coax cable onto a phono cable. I even found a lens from another camera that I swapped over.
I tried it on the TV and I now have a signal comming into the TV. But it is just a fuzz with and with out the lens
Well done to get a signal - that's certainly an important first step!

Are you sure that the lens is compatible with the camera you swapped it into (and that you have 'installed' it correctly)? Did it come from an identical camera and, if so, why didn't you do your test with camera that already had a lens installed?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Are you sure that the lens is compatible with the camera you swapped it into (and that you have 'installed' it correctly)? Did it come from an identical camera and, if so, why didn't you do your test with camera that already had a lens installed?
Yes it cam from an identical camera, i tried the other camera first but there was no signal on the screen

Yes it cam from an identical camera, i tried the other camera first but there was no signal on the screen
Interesting. That, in itself, is a little surprising - I suppose it suggests that the other camera is either ill or dead.

Kind Regards, John

or it could of all been bad signal from my soldering
... but didn't you use the same lead (soldered together by yourself) for both 'other camera' (when you got no signal) and the one to which you swapped the lens (when you did get a signal)?

Kind Regards, John

... but didn't you use the same lead (soldered together by yourself) for both 'other camera' (when you got no signal) and the one to which you swapped the lens (when you did get a signal)?

Kind Regards, John
I ordered the fitting so when it arrives it is just one problem to eliminate, presides I was told on a sound engineering forum that due to the high frequency of the TV signal a proper cable that has good resistance (75 Ohms) will be required to carry the frequency wave

I ordered the fitting so when it arrives it is just one problem to eliminate, presides I was told on a sound engineering forum that due to the high frequency of the TV signal a proper cable that has good resistance (75 Ohms) will be required to carry the frequency wave
I would have expected you to get some sort of signal with almost any type of (short) cable.

Kind Regards, John

For the very short cables you are testing with, it will make no difference. It would mostly affect the picture quality anyway, and quality is not important at this stage, just a functional test.

It’s not transmitting by RF , it’s video 1v peak to peak…….

It’s not transmitting by RF , it’s video 1v peak to peak…….
I agree with your implied bottom line. As Harry and myself have said, virtually any sort of (short) cable (quite possibly even if there is a small 'air gap' at what should be s 'termination'!) ought to produce a picture of some sort.

However I would say that "not RF" is a little more debatable, since composite TV signals can be anything up to about 6 MHz, maybe even more :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back