CCTV - DVR System Help (Remote viewing)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone.

I've just acquired a new business and will be doing the cctv setup shortly. I'm a developer myself and I would say not a novice when it comes to setting up the software side of things for cctv systems and remote viewing (port forwarding, ddns etc) however I'm absolutely clueless on the hardware side.

I've previously setup a cctv dvr for a friend of mine and it was a cheap addonics system from Maplins (I didn't know better). The software side was fine but the remote viewing experience was terrible, there wasn't really any decent software out there and the web browser viewing was only through internet explorer (where you have to turn off the active x security because it uses unsigned active x controls).

I don't want to do the same this time, I need the system to have really good remote viewing capability. The connection on the business is going to have around 2-3mb/s of upload which isn't half bad.

I've been looking at maplins again and looked at their swann range but after reading reviews for the last hour or so I've found that their remote viewing is really bad.

Could someone please point me in the right direction of the kit I want to be going for?

Other little details : Needs to be 8ch, shop currently has 4 cameras, will be adding another 2.

Sponsored Links
Agreed with Sparkymark....the samsung DVR's come with "ipolis" software that is made inhouse by samsung...its excellent!!

My personal favourite is the AVTECH range of DVR's......the manual is first class, the remote viewing is easy and the apps work with all phones flawlessly...checkout the avtech eagle eyes and there you will see demo's...its really is the best....its also lower cost than Samsung.....fitted over 100 units and they are superb for the money....here is the 16CH machine which incidentally has been the best selling DVR in Europe as I found out at the IFSEC show last year....

http://www.map-security.com/avtech-avc-798-16-channel-dvr.html

They also do 4 and 8CH units of the same quality....

and the web browser viewing was only through internet explorer (where you have to turn off the active x security because it uses unsigned active x controls).

Along with 99% of the other dvr's with web viewer.

Sponsored Links
Alright guys, It's going to be between Avtech and Samsung I guess, I've read your post somewhere else reccomending the Samsung from that Map website. I'll give them a ring and see what they think. I'm a little worried about the resolution being low on the samsung dvr that is going for £200 but we'll see I guess.

I found something pretty decent.

http://www.selecsecurityproducts.co.uk/cctv-digital-video-recorder/8-CHANNEL-DVR'S?product_id=425

It's a Samsung 1 and I'm going to buy the camera from Map-Security. This selec security site seems to be a little cheaper on the samsung dvrs. I might even just buy my own seagate sata for £40 and save the £30 extra for them to install it for me.

The chap on the phone from map security reccomended to me some £90 Samsung camera, before i fork out the cash I'll look at any slightly cheaper but similar alternatives.

Good plan ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back