CCTV in the workplace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just wondering how far bosses can go with it because at 4.45 today with 15 mins to go before we finishing time I wasn't doing much and talking with a workmate at the same time when my workmate's phone rang, it was the boss to tell him that if he's got nothing to do he should go see the foreman and get a job. They use the cameras to do this to us quite often so I'm curious to know if he's within his rights to use the so called security cameras in this way.
Just noticed there's a CCTV forum (I've never noticed it until now) :oops: please move if needed.

Sponsored Links
There should be signage to advise that cameras are in use, and for what reason they are in use.

IIRC, if the signs says "Cameras for security purposes" then they can't be used for monitoring staff working.

But if staff know that they are being monitored, either by signs or as part of general working arrangements, then it is OK to be watched.

it depends on what it says in your contract..

if it says that they can use the CCTV to monitor work performance then they can.. you gave them permission to when you signed it..

if it doesn't then they can't use it to monitor performance, just for safety and theft reasons..

that's not going to stop them from watching you, then comming out and "catching" you doing nothing..

Contract? Only one person in the place has one. There's no signs to say anything about CCTV. They fitted them on the pretence of them being for security purposes and were to be used to monitor customers, but we all knew that wasn't true.

Sponsored Links
Contract? Only one person in the place has one. There's no signs to say anything about CCTV. They fitted them on the pretence of them being for security purposes and were to be used to monitor customers, but we all knew that wasn't true.

Would you rather he deducted the last 15 minutes from your pay?

You seem very suspicious of your employers.
They fitted them on the pretence of them being for security purposes
Why don't you believe they were fitted for this purpose? Why are you bothered? You'll be watched over by someone be it a supervisor, foreman, boss etc, if you're working/doing your job you have nothing to hide/worry about.

[/quote] Why don't you believe they were fitted for this purpose? Why are you bothered? You'll be watched over by someone be it a supervisor, foreman, boss etc, if you're working/doing your job you have nothing to hide/worry about.[/quote]

Because there's no customers in the place where I work.
I'm not bothered I'm curious, besides I'm waiting on word of a new job.
I don't have anything to hide as I work away on my own no problem.

it was the boss to tell him that if he's got nothing to do he should go see the foreman and get a job

He should have done that himself without the boss having to phone him. Do you really think that your employer should pay him when he is wasting his, and the bosses time? Get real!

He was one of our lorry drivers and he had no more driving to do today.

He was one of our lorry drivers and he had no more driving to do today.

But the boss obviously thought that he could have being doing something for the money he would be paid for that 15 minutes. Come on, why should any employer give a worker money for doing nothing?

I know where your coming from but the question is; what are the rules governing the use of CCTV in the workplace?

I know where your coming from but the question is; what are the rules governing the use of CCTV in the workplace?

I dont care what the rules are! If there is CCTV and the boss has a monitor then he will see that you are doing what you are paid to do. If you employed someone, wouldn't you do the same?

Yes if it was a pit donkey, then I would expect it to work 12 hours a day with no stopping for a chat.

But when you work with humans, you tend to find that it is possible fro them to do all their work, quickly and efficiently and then make time for a chat at the end of the day - or at other times during the day.

And if there is some idiot boss on their back constantly wanting more and more work, then you find that the employee actually become less productive, less responsive, and all in all, less of an asset to the company.

Sponsored Links
Back