CCTV in the workplace?

From the above link.

Accordingly, monitoring by CCTV in parts of the workplace other than where the employer suspects that a criminal act is being committed will not be justified.

Why was the CCTV system put there? Is it being used for only that purpose?

Here is another link with your rights explained.

At my employers we had the odd camera, some were accidentally turned off or angled upwards - total accidents :D

Sponsored Links
How do they get around having cameras in the workplace in a CCTV factory?? :eek:

We have cameras at work, there are no blind spots. The warehouse camera overlooks the toilet doors!

Clearly the cameras are used for security, in terms of customers, stock and staff. But admittedly, we do use them to watch staff are working too.

If I'm busy in the office and see staff wandering aimlessly around the place, I will shout them, via the tannoy system, to the office for a job.

I feel better with the cameras there. I would feel less happy working somewhere with no cameras (where stock is on public view and cash is involved).

The cameras have dug me out of the **** once, when a fellow employee was pilfering and trying to pin the blame on me. He made up a cash banking, signed the internal sheet, kept the carbon copy, and dropped the cash into the roll-top safe (we have no access). What he also did on the banking slip, was fake my signature (badly) to make it look like I had checked it. I had checked a banking of his earlier that day, so he countersigned this one too, thinking I wouldn't notice. Very clever. Cash was picked up, £2990 short. On looking through the carbons, I noticed my sig had been forged.

Loss prevention called in, taped interviews etc (he had covered his tracks well on the cctv in the office). First they suspected me, they saw I had bent a couple of rules, and had reached for my pocket whilst counting cash (i was adjusting my tackle ffs) then went to the bog (for some time - i was having a ****). My colleague blamed me or the manager when he was interviewed. Then they reviewed more footage and saw my colleague reach down the side of the safe (out of view), after counting cash and dumping the banking. On the second interview he confessed. If it weren't for the CCTV I could have lost my job (or nobody would have lost it, grounds of no evidence)

Sponsored Links
If it weren't for the CCTV I could have lost my job (or nobody would have lost it, grounds of no evidence)
No Steve, Employment Law doesn't work like Criminal Law. The employer does not have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the employee was guilty but merely show that they acted reasonably in dismissing the employee in the circumstances known to the employer (or which the employer ought reasonably to have known or investigated) at the time.

So even if you are innocent you can be sacked and your character blackened?

So even if you are innocent you can be sacked and your character blackened?
conny, a contract of employment is based upon trust between the employer and the employee. Where a breakdown in that trust occurs, a Disciplinary Investigation should take place. The words 'Disciplinary Investigation' DO NOT imply blame. It is a standard procedure that all employers are required to carry out in order to establish the facts of what has/has not happened. Most decent employers have their own written Disciplinary Procedure. They will follow that procedure to ensure they stay within the law (Employment Law). A 'decent employer' won't be launching a 'witch hunt'. A decent employee has nothing to fear from his/her decent employer. The law places a requirement on employers to find 'reasonable doubt' before they administer any warnings/dismissals. Employers that fail to follow procedure/guidelines run the risk of an Employment Tribunal (ET) being taken out against them and the penalties that an ET can impose. If you or anyone else felt they had been unfairly treated in a company Disciplinary Investigation and the subsequent warning/dismissal, then the law states that you should launch an appeal within the company and exhaust 'Internal Company Appeals Procedures' before launching an ET. In certain circumstances however, this can be waved ie where you have been a victim of bullying/harassment and do not feel you can go to the company and appeal etc. In such cases you will normally be granted an ET.

Or have something in your hands & keep pointing to or looking at it. :D

Sponsored Links
Back