CCTV networking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Jim here and this is my foist post.

I recently bought an old (1858) house which has a Swann CCTV system in it with the DVR and monitor etc all in the attic (??).

I want to run a Cat 5/6 cable from it to my router which is in my living room 2 floors down but unsure as to the best way to do it bearing in mind that the house is obviously solid brick. What has everyone else done.

I may move the DVR and monitor down to bedroom but then I'd also need to run the camera cables down there from the attic AND run a network cable downstairs.

Any advice would be greatfully accepted!

Cheers,
Jim

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I thought of them too but had really bad connections with dropouts in a previous house.

Also, what could I replace my Swann DVR with but keep all the analogue cameras? I think mine is dying.

Sponsored Links
Are the cameras high quality or a pain to replace?
DVRs are a bit old hat for a lot of applications and I'm assisting in the phase out of some at work, we're using analogue video to IP converters to convert a load of cameras over but for a few cameras in a domestic setting with shorter cable runs it might be as easy (and may be cheaper) to just put in IP cameras, either way you'd then only need one cable run from the loft.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back