Ceiling island advice...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

looking to fit a ceiling island in dining/living rooms, both have 7'6" ceilings.

I was hoping to be able to fit L.E.D's around the edge for ambient light and spots in the island for more light when needed, all controlled with Philips Hue hub and Alexa etc.

Bit like this...
341-1024x768.jpg

Would you feel 7'6" is too low to take an island?

Any tips appreciated
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
it would be ok for a central cloud.

If it is going to be a large part of the room it might feel too low.

your ceilings are currently 2285mm and you want to lower to 2160mm? That is only 180mm above a standard door.

Yeah, blasted modern houses with low ceilings :( Typical 1980's Barratt shoebox.

I was hoping to do a large island maybe out to around 900mm from the walls all round.

As you say, it will likely make it claustrophobic/oppressive so not worth doing.

I could do a Halo instead as we have that in the cinema room upstairs, but we have a chimney breast downstairs and a halo would make the recesses look a bit odd i think.

Oh well ;)

What about coving with led?

Yes, oddly i was just looking at that suff :)

We already have the arc cove at top so something lower like this...
52efac0a0e4ff@2x.jpg

Would it go just around the main room and NOT out/around the chimney breast OR should it go around the whole perimeter ??

image.jpg Personal choice , I stopped mine at fireplace , I used standard lightweight coving fixed 30mm below ceiling to wall only , than ran led along top edge.

View attachment 152755 Personal choice , I stopped mine at fireplace , I used standard lightweight coving fixed 30mm below ceiling to wall only , than ran led along top edge.

That looks very nice, do you find it good enough for main use lighting?

We have the regular arc coving fitted and wouldn't really want to rip that out so the LED uplight would need to go below by a small distance - the arc would help throw the light out too.

I'm thinking now of having the uplight coving plus my original idea of an island BUT making it smaller so maybe only 4' x 3' (proportioned to room) and having perimeter LEDS on that plus maybe 4 GU10 downlighter units in it. We have a ceiling light (ugly) that hangs down over 12" so a 6" lowered platform but not too big might be ok??

Yes, looks ok not going around the chimney breast too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back