Ceiling light - 3 wire loop - is it a problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have just had a house rewired and had some new tenants move in. I believe that they are fitting a couple of new pendants.

They have sent me an email saying that

"All ceiling lights have been laid in a lazy three wire loop, which makes fitting any lights extremely difficult. You have three supplies running to it."

I have attached a picture that the tenant sent. Is there anything obviously wrong with the wiring?

ipcLC2P.jpg

Sponsored Links
No. Perfectly normal. That's how it's done.

It shows the tenants don't know what they are doing so you shouldn't let them do it.

Thanks for the quick reply.

As you say, they shouldn't be doing this if they don't know what they are doing.

Is it a job that a competent DIYer could do, or is it a job for a qualified electrician?

Sponsored Links
the tenants don't know what they are doing so you shouldn't let them do it.
whssign.gif
plus_one.gif
whssign.gif
plus_one.gif
whssign.gif
plus_one.gif
whssign.gif
plus_one.gif
whssign.gif

Seriously - now that you know the tenants are not competent you must not let them do electrical work, as you would be failing in your duty of care to the next ones & you might be invalidating your insurance.

Is it a job that a competent DIYer could do, or is it a job for a qualified electrician?

It would normally be in the rental agreement that they are not to do plumbing or electrical work. Don't let them continue, the fact they say you have three supplies going to the light means it's going to go bang anyway when they connect up their new light fitting themselves.

It would normally be in the rental agreement that they are not to do plumbing or electrical work. Don't let them continue, the fact they say you have three supplies going to the light means it's going to go bang anyway when they connect up their new light fitting themselves.

Thanks. I am trying to find out from them, exactly what has been done and who has done the work.

Is this something that could be done by a competent DIYer, or would this always be something to be done by a qualified electrician?

From a legal POV, in a private dwelling, it may be done by anybody competent.

Given landlord liabilities and financial interests I would guess that you would be mad not to insist on a qualified electrician rather than allowing unknown tenants to fiddle.

Are you actually asking if you may DIY?

From a legal POV, in a private dwelling, it may be done by anybody competent.

Given landlord liabilities and financial interests I would guess that you would be mad not to insist on a qualified electrician rather than allowing unknown tenants to fiddle.

Are you actually asking if you may DIY?

Thanks. No, I don't have any intention of touching it, and I agree that this needs to be done by a qualified electrician, given the situation.

Agreed that's a perfectly standard way to wire lights. Light fittings are the usual way for people to confuse themselves though as they're not totally simple to understand.
The only problem in the photo, which may be confusing the tenants, is the electrician has forgotten to sleeve the blue wire from the switch in brown sleeving to identify it as a L rather than N. This is a non compliant with the regulations but shouldn't flummox anyone who knows what they're doing.

. I believe that they are fitting a couple of new pendants.
You must inform your tenants that they do NOT attempt any repairs or alterations to the electrical system, plumbing, heating or any other part of the building they are renting - regardless of whether they consider themselves competent or not.

They don't have 3 supplies, they have 1 and that is a standard installation which is prfectly safe 9from a dsign perspective)
This is a standard installation and there are not 3 supplies. There are 3 cables loop-in (supply) loop-out (feed to the next light fitting) and the switch cable.

They don't have 3 supplies, they have 1 and that is a standard installation which is prfectly safe 9from a dsign perspective)

This is a standard installation and there are not 3 supplies. There are 3 cables loop-in (supply) loop-out (feed to the next light fitting) and the switch cable.
I know that, but if they think they have 3 supplies, we all know what happens when they connect up their new light...

I know that, but if they think they have 3 supplies, we all know what happens when they connect up their new light...
I just assuned it more likely they see 3 cables and that the tenants don't understand what these are for.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back