Ceiling Light all wires same colour, help!

i'm 99% sure those clear plastic covered things are a kind of crimp connector. i've seen them when modifying equipment before.

Sponsored Links
renegade74 said:
disaster, i've just fitted it, its three x 50w spotlights, tried it with one it came on fine so i attached it to the ceiling then tried it with all three & the main fuse box went bang! & now have no lighting at all in the house, what could i have done wrong!?!

How did you wire it? What did you connect where? Can you post a picture of the wiring?

I bet with the wires being too long he crushed them on the meatl fitting when screwing it to the ceiling

I pushed the wires back into the ceiling when I attached it. I attached the twisted wires to the neutrel & single wire to live & earth to earth. The fact that it worked with one bulb but not attached to the ceiling, but blew the main fuse with 3 bulbs and attached to the ceiling, I must have done something wrong, I better go to BNQ while I b4 it get to dark to see!

Sponsored Links
as i said since it worked before going onto the ceiling you must hzve shoted a wire, probabl;y on the metal bits

I suspect the cables have been damaged, or you left to much copper showing at the terminals. when you have screwed it to the ceiling, you have created a short, and a bang ;)

I hope you put some red sleeve or red tape on the non red live conductor ;)

renegade74 wrote:
I must have done something wrong

Yes, you were too mean to employ an electrician.

You tried to do it yourself to save money and now you've discovered that you don't have enough knowledge.

Enjoy the dark!

SwindonSpark said:
renegade74 wrote:
I must have done something wrong

You tried to do it yourself to save money and now you've discovered that you don't have enough knowledge.

Enjoy the dark!

Why learn to drive when u can just get a taxi.
If everyone had your opinion we'd all be living in caves.
I've already gained some knowledge today, I spent 65p on a fuse wire & have lighting everywhere else thank you very much. I'll try again tomorrow

Got it working now, thanks to those who gave me advice. The live wire did have a cut in it, maybe it touched the fitting when i pushed it into the ceiling so i sealed it with some tape.

SwindonSpark said:

Enjoy the dark!
Hm, like you were too much of a pratt to be civil.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back