Ceiling light fitting help?

I can't help thinking we should establish first that only this one light is controlled by the switch before we go any further, rather than assuming.
I can't help thinking that we should not be suggesting or facilitating electrical-installation-by-guesswork.

But then I seem to be the only one here with a sense of responsibility and duty of care.

Sponsored Links
I can't help thinking that we should not be suggesting or facilitating electrical-installation-by-guesswork.

Connecting a test lamp to a cable is not guess work. It is similar to connecting a test meter to the same cable.

The difference is that exposed copper is Live when using a test meter to find the Live supply cable.

Using a connector to connect a test lamp to the cable with the power switched OFF and then switching the supply on to see if the lamp lights does not involve exposed copper that is Live.

So what live working of any type is involved if the lighting circuit is powered off and the switch cable identified by connecting the conductors at one end together and looking for continuity at the other?

Hi all.

The Mrs thought she was doing me a favour by removing the old light fitting for me before I fit the new one. What she didn't do though was take note of where the wires went before she removed it so now I have no idea where any of the wires go!

The old fitting had a 4 slot terminal block (NESL) but the new one only has 3 (NEL) if that matters?

There are two sets of three wires coming from the ceiling (Brown, Green/Yellow and Blue). Where would these wires go when connecting them to the terminal block? Pictures below.

Any help would be appreciated!
Assuming all 4 locations where inhabited in the previous fitting surely the 2 browns need to be linked in an additionall connector then one blue into the 'L' location and one blue into the 'N' location with both grune wires in 'E'.
If all 4 locations in the previous fitting where not occupied then my thoughts are to be ignored.

Sponsored Links
and the switch cable identified by connecting the conductors at one end together

Assumes the switch is working, previous attempts to solve the problem may have damaged the switch. ( all browns together, all blues together )

Measuring for continuity on the supply cable would be affected by other lights on the circuit that had their switch in the ON position.

Assumes the switch is working, previous attempts to solve the problem may have damaged the switch. ( all browns together, all blues together )
Then disconnect at the switch end. Simples.

Measuring for continuity on the supply cable would be affected by other lights on the circuit that had their switch in the ON position.
My apologies, Bernard, I did assume that you would be able to comprehend the idea of making and breaking a connection at one end of a cable and looking for matching results with a continuity tester at the other.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back