Ceiling light fitting help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

The Mrs thought she was doing me a favour by removing the old light fitting for me before I fit the new one. What she didn't do though was take note of where the wires went before she removed it so now I have no idea where any of the wires go!

The old fitting had a 4 slot terminal block (NESL) but the new one only has 3 (NEL) if that matters?

There are two sets of three wires coming from the ceiling (Brown, Green/Yellow and Blue). Where would these wires go when connecting them to the terminal block? Pictures below.

Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• 44298409_345403846220595_7291187901038067712_n.jpg
    44298409_345403846220595_7291187901038067712_n.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 232
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 208
Sponsored Links
You're going to need a mulimeter - do you have one?

Edit: And maybe a new wife!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
One cable will be the L N &E supply, The other will be L SWL & E, you need to establish which is which. The SWL should have been over sleeved brown.

So one of the blue wires should be the SWL? If so, both of them look exactly the same.

Shot in the dark here as I've never done this before - Would I be able to plug both of the live and earth wires in to the correct slots on the terminal and then plug one of the neutral (blue) wires in and see if anything happens? And if it doesn't work, just change the blue wires over?

No! That will possibly hurt your MCB.

Connect your new light to one of the cables as you'd exptect - LtoL, NtoN, EtoE, put the other wires into seperate terminal blocks to isolate them. Switch on the appropriate MCB.

If the lamp lights, you have the supply cable.

If not, you have the switch cable.

Thanks for the heads up!

So try one set of 3 wires (N E L) in the terminal first and see if the light works, if not, it's the other set I'm looking for? It's that simple? Lol

No.

Find the cable that lights the lamp, then connect E & N to the lamp terminals, then connect the brown wire to a terminal block together with the brown wire from the other cable. Then connect the blue wire from the other cable to the L of the lamp. Connect all the earths together. Put some brown sleeving or tape around the blue in the L lamp terminal.

This is why the old fitting had 4 terminals.

Just make sure you switch off the power before tinkering with any of it.

Be lucky.

I can't help thinking we should establish first that only this one light is controlled by the switch before we go any further, rather than assuming.

I’ve just fitted a light similar to that.

28w each doesn’t sound a lot and it isn’t.

I’m using 20w 2.2w leds and they aren’t very bright at all.
I have ordered a 3W one

And mine came with a spare loose terminal block for the loop

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back