Ceiling light not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I have a ceiling light in my pantry, but it stopped working a few years ago after I had an electrician round to do some work in my adjoining kitchen.

I kept meaning to get him back, but then never got round to it and years went by. I assume something he did has caused the light not to work, but I guess it could be coincidence.

Anyway, I tried the bulb in another socket, and that works fine, so it's not the bulb.

I then bought a circuit tester gadget - and that lights up like a Christmas tree when placed near the light socket and the switch (see pics) so there's power there.

Sooooo, any ideas what I can do next? Could it be a faulty switch, or faulty socket maybe?

Any advice gratefully received!

Attachments

• 20210821_135824[1].jpg
    20210821_135824[1].jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 93
  • 20210821_135814[1].jpg
    20210821_135814[1].jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 87
Sponsored Links
I will guess no neutral, we call it a circuit, as it goes both in and out, it needs both lives that line and neutral to work, you clearly have line so likely neutral missing.

This shows how lighting circuits work it can be seen the neutral goes from ceiling rose to ceiling rose
d6c9ca93c45afebe6345a61830d6795b
likely where electrician was working a neutral has been left disconnected, likely nothing to do with the light which is not working.

I would check (with the power off) that the contacts are good and springy.

What was the spark working on?

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone. I shall check the contacts. Not sure what you mean about a spark, Securespark.

Oh right! I've heard them called sparkies - but never sparks. It was wiring in the kitchen - he fitted some new sockets. Didn't change the lighting in there, though.

Oh right! I've heard them called sparkies - but never sparks. It was wiring in the kitchen - he fitted some new sockets. Didn't change the lighting in there, though.
Based on that, logic would suggest the light was somehow connected to the sockets, and a cable was left disconnected or a wire broken off.

It could 100 different things in reality.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back