Ceiling Light Socket

Sponsored Links
First of all you would need to understand how lighting circuits work - there are some diagrams in the reference sections.

Then you need to see what cables you have going into your light.

Then report back!

If its just the light you're removing, take the wires out of the light fitting, NOTING WHAT GOES WHERE, and replicate these connections (without the one to the light itself, of course) in a junction box (round thing with holes in the sides) in the loft, NOT CHOC BLOC.

crafty1289 said:
If its just the light you're removing, take the wires out of the light fitting, NOTING WHAT GOES WHERE, and replicate these connections (without the one to the light itself, of course) in a junction box (round thing with holes in the sides) in the loft, NOT CHOC BLOC.

if plastered over and there is a floor above, they should be crimped

Sponsored Links
Thank you for all your replies. Being a complete amateur I am struggling to understand some of the lingo!

To give a clearer picture the light I want to remove is one of three hanging ceiling lights. I only want two as I intend to use bigger lampshades. Therefore the switch does not need to be removed. As suggested I was hoping to be able to remove the light socket and shove the cable up in the ceiling void and plaster over the hole. It sounds as though this can be done if I 'crimp' the end of the cable, but I don't know what crimping is?!

Lastly, before undertaking this task is it sufficient to switch the electricity off at the mains or do I have to do anything else before taking off the light socket?

Any advice gratefully received.

Hi there!

If you have a modern consumer unit (the box with all the fuses in) you can turn off the individual electrical circuits e.g. the lighting circuits.
If not then turn the main power switch off on the consumer unit (usually a large red switch).

In most lighting circuits there are 2 cables for the circuit (one coming in and one going out of the ceiling rose), a switch cable and the light cable. It could possible have one less circuit cable (if it's the end light in the circuit).

You need to turn the power off and remove the ceiling rose cover, report back with how many cables are in the ceiling rose.

Hope that sort of made sense :confused:

If this light is the middle of the 3, then there should be maximum of 2 cables, depending on how it has been wired. Have a look. If there are only 2 cables, simply crimp them together, insulate, and shove them in the roof space. Use a proper ratchet crimper, not the "squeeze and hope" jobs.

However, at the other extreme, there may be up to 5 cables. :confused:

crafty1289 said:
If there are only 2 cables, simply crimp them together, insulate, and shove them in the roof space. Use a proper ratchet crimper, not the "squeeze and hope" jobs.

and dont turn the switch on either. or bang goes the lights.

andy said:
crafty1289 said:
If there are only 2 cables, simply crimp them together, insulate, and shove them in the roof space. Use a proper ratchet crimper, not the "squeeze and hope" jobs.

Can you explain this strange comment?

securespark said:
andy said:
crafty1289 said:

Can you explain this strange comment?

if there are only 2 cables then 1 will be the switch?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back