Ceiling light tripping when turn off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I recently fitted a new light fitting on the ceiling of a downstairs bathroom now every time I'm the light is turned off it trips out the lights. From what I understand I've why did it wrong so that the switch is back to front ie off is on / on is off. But I don't understand how to correct it any advice welcome thank you

Attachments

• PXL_20220331_102616236.jpg
    PXL_20220331_102616236.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 173
Sponsored Links
Reds connected to each other but nothing else in separate additional connector block.

One Black to the Browns and
other Black to the Blues.

Fit wires so that no copper is visible.

Using the photo you took before you removed the old one wire the new one in the same way. You seem to have the switch directly across the light which is obviously wrong.

Colour means nothing, of the two blacks one is switched line the other is neutral, as said reds together but no where else.

The line black to brown (line) and the neutral black to blue (neutral). Lucky for you getting the two blacks wrong way around will not stop it working. If the bulbs are screw thread should be right way around, if not does not really matter, except if fitting changed again and you put wrong way around, it will be wrong way around with new fitting.

Sponsored Links
Hi Oliver

You also need to reconnect the centre of the connector block back to the earth lug on the light fitting when sorted out. Otherwise the metal fitting won't be earthed when you use it.

Regards
Huggybear.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back