Ceiling light wiring help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I want to fit my new ceiling light and I know it may sound stupid to most of you novice electricians . The wiring coming from the ceiling I think are red and there is 3 other black ones and 2 of them are taped together which makes me think are they earth wires.

Do I connect the 2 earth wires from the new light fitting to the other 2 black wires?

Attachments

• 20170607_141613.jpg
    20170607_141613.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 139
Sponsored Links
Here's the other picture wiring from ceiling

Attachments

• 20170607_141613.jpg
    20170607_141613.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 160
  • 20170607_141548.jpg
    20170607_141548.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 148
I'm afraid your picture of the ceiling wiring is next to indecipherable.

It appears the block with two in could be the neutral and the one with one in, the line, but don't take that as gospel.

However, I can't see the CPC's.

Please post a clear bright in-focus shot.

Will try get a better picture. Looks like somones taped 2 red wires together aswel but the wires connected are all black?

Sponsored Links
The earth wires should either be bare copper, or have a green / green&yellow sleeve over them. Possibly those in the left side connector block?
Those with black insulation almost certainly will NOT be earth.

20170607_141548.jpg

It is likely you have both looped in live and neutrals. The lives are normally red cores and the blacks are normally black cores, but one of the blacks is likely to be your switch line and they should be identified by a red sleeve or tape or some marking. Alas it is not often the case.

But normal is not always the way things are. So I would recommend you either get a multi-meter and test the cables out or get help from someone how can.

You would also require CPCs (AKA earths) You have a class I metallic light fitting and these requires a fault path to earth, if this is not present, you could be introducing a dangerous hazard by installing it.

Last edited:
upload_2017-6-8_7-24-41.png
I can not see any sign of earth wires in this picture, it would seem two reds are connected together, it would seem likely the two blacks together are neutral and the single black is switched line, however the foremost connector does not show colours of wires, this may be the earth, but sorry however much I try to enhance the picture can't really identify that foremost connector.

there is 3 other black ones and 2 of them are taped together which makes me think are they earth wires.

Do I connect the 2 earth wires from the new light fitting to the other 2 black wires?
Ye gods.

Taping wires together makes you think that they are earths? :eek:

Please, please, PLEASE do some learning - you really don't know anywhere near enough to be considering fiddling with things yet.

• [wiki]Electrics%3Abooks[/wiki]

NOTE: - it's been a while since that list was last updated - if you find any broken links please let us know and someone will fix them.

Also, there is a lot of stuff on the internet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back