Ceiling light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are trying to replace the kitchen light. The house was rewired 12mths ago. When we have tried to take the light off it is different to the one we want to replace it with. Can anyone please tell us which wires need to go where. I have enclosed photos (if you can't see them please check in album 'ceiling light'). Thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
The only difference is that your new fitting is missing a fourth terminal for the loop wiring.

Get another terminal block for this and wire the rest as per the blocks on your fitting.

screenshot_125.jpg

//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Lighting-Rose[/size]

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid that's the only way the Wiki shows up. ... It's not colourful or big enough for some people to notice IMO. ... Not that I mind going over frequently asked questions again.
I may be wrong, but I suspect that a majority of people who come to a forum like this one do not do so in order to be directed to written reading material/ 'instructions' - if that's what they wanted, they'd only have to 'google' their question to get enough reading material / 'instructions' to last them a lifetime.

Rather, I suspect that they are looking for what they may regard as the reassurance' of getting advice or guidance from human beings (even if some of them may get 'advice or guidance' of a type they weren't wanting or expecting :) ).

Kind Regards, John

Exactly.

People often come here for a quick answer to their problem. They aren't interested in looking things up, half the time they don't know what to look up.

Back to the op, the picture of the ceiling wiring isn't clear enough to give you a quick answer.

We need to know how many CABLES, and how many WIRES and their colours emerge from each CABLE.

Also need to know for certain if just the one light is operated by the switch, as this would make the wiring different.

Exactly. People often come here for a quick answer to their problem. They aren't interested in looking things up, half the time they don't know what to look up.
I wouldn't necessarily put it quite as judgementally as that - at least, not as a generalisation. Turning to knowledgeable human beings 'for a quick answer' can be a reasonable approach. If I want to find out about some obscure point of law, I am literate and intelligent enough to be able to plough through all the relevant material and eventually probably get an answer, but I'm far more likely to go to a lawyer who may well be able to give me a 'quick answer' - or, at least, would have the skills and facilities for ploughing far more expeditiously/efficiently than me!
Back to the op, the picture of the ceiling wiring isn't clear enough to give you a quick answer. ... We need to know how many CABLES, and how many WIRES and their colours emerge from each CABLE. ... Also need to know for certain if just the one light is operated by the switch, as this would make the wiring different.
That is all true.

Kind Regards, John

They just want their new shiny chrome switches to work.

Have other things to do with their busy lives.

I can understand that.

What I can't understand is how, in their minds, ignorance + unwillingness to find out = lets go ahead anyway.

This isn't the first time either
FGS.

an additional three brown wires going to a fourth connector that we do not have in the new light fitting. Please help
Lights with just L/N/E connections and no place for the live loop to go are commonplace.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Lighting-Rose

You should take some time out to learn how lighting circuits are wired before trying to fiddle with them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back