Ceiling repair after water leak, does this look ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I had to have a section of ceiling cut out. This is the result after the work was completed. To me the seams/joins aren't blended. Will paint sort it.?
Thanks in advance

Caroline

Attachments

• 20170825_202630.jpg
    20170825_202630.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 378
Sponsored Links
The whole patch needs another skim of artex/stipple to bring it flush, its always going to show as a patch though.

Thanks for your reply, the reason I asked is because I had the company who did the sub contract work for the gas company back as I wasn't convinced that is was properly finished. The head guy came this time and was rude. He said that it was finished but then he basically filled the seam with poly fill. I realise that I will notice some of the patch but not that obvious surely? Should I accept his work because he says it's done? Thanks again.

If it's an insurance claim or someone else responsible for and being paid to rectify the damage, the ceiling should be returned to the condition it was before the damage.
So no! it's an unnaceptable attempt at a repair.

Sponsored Links
Can someone confirm if tape should of been used for the joins.? How do I resolve this? Do I sand down, tape, then apply plaster. My diy experience is painting really. I am anxious about them coming for the third time as he was arrogant and says it's fine, plus I'm not sure what the cover is on the energy extra insurance. Sorry for my limited knowledge.

Okay, first things first. Was it an insurance job, or private. If it was a private job, then how much did they charge. Did they charge the cost of a complete skim, and just patch it. And did they warn you of the way it's look afterwards, or was it case, of fine, you'll never notice the repair.

They would have needed to break of the stipples surrounding the join, and then tape and skim the area, then they attempt to restipple the area, but it would always look "redone".

If it was an insurance job, then they should have broken the top of the stipples off, and then skimmed the whole ceiling, and then restipelled it; or they could have put bonding over the stipples, and then skimmed it.

Hi thank you.

I started to notice a brown mark on my living room wall. My bathroom is above the living room. So I rang my gas provider as I had monthly payment of £5 to get a call out for £50 which stated all parts and labour. A guy came round and said he thought it was a leak from the toilet even though after taking tiles up he found no leak. I said I thought it maybe coming from the floor boards in the ceiling.

They said that the ceiling would be patched after finding a small leak on the copper pipe. The sub contractors came did the patch in twenty mins. After they had been I noticed that it had some holes in and then noticed it was not flush. They came back not happy and put a bit of filler in. Basically he put the board up with one layer of plaster and did the effect. So I am not sure what to expect that's why I wanted to ask about tape, I think it should of had it.

I think it looks professional plastering standards and are confused to why they say it's ok?

Thanks for your time.

Okay, so did the gas provider do the plastering under it's scheme, or did you pay them for it personally. If it's beeen done under the scheme, then I suspect they are subcontracting the work out, and you've got a cheap job to save themselves some costs.

I don't know how that scheme works regarding the damage caused by the leak, but do know home insurance would normally cover comprehensive repairs to the damage.
Ie reinstate the ceiling to it's original condition...this doesn't mean an unsightly patch...as already stated...reskim and paint or whatever you want.
Depends on your policy wording...then of course the excess on your policy may make it unviable to make a claim.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back