Ceiling Rose Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have 2 strip lights I have removed from the kitchen.

Doing this has rendered about 6 other lights useless.

There are a few sets of wires coming down from each hole in the ceiling.

Pics to help........................................

Kitchen Light Wiring
KitchenLightsWiring.jpg

Cloakroom Light Wiring
CloakroomLightsWiring.jpg

If I replce these with normal lights, the new light has 8 connectors in it.
2 sets of 3 & a double one.

If I have 6 sets of wires from ceiling, can I double up on the connections inside?
For example, 2 Neutrals going into one of the connector blocks, like below......

1. 2x Neutrals + Neutral to light.
2. 2x Neutrals
3. 2x Neutrals

4. 2x Live
5. 2x Live
6. 1x Live

7. Switched Live.
8. Live to Light.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Pete

Sponsored Links
There are loads of diagrams on how the lights work.

You have two problems.

1. You need to find out which cable goes to the light switch as that black wire will not be a neutral. Once this is identified you can easy connect all other black wires together and all red wires together so all other light will work. The black wire from the switch goes to feed the lamp.

2. You have no earth wires which means you need to carefully select the type of lamp used and it must have a double square to show it does not need an earth.

Hi mate,

thanks for your reply.

You have two problems.
1. You need to find out which cable goes to the light switch as that black wire will not be a neutral. Once this is identified you can easy connect all other black wires together and all red wires together so all other light will work. The black wire from the switch goes to feed the lamp.

Yes, I need to find the switched live, which will be fun, as there are 6 light switches, but should be ok.

2. You have no earth wires which means you need to carefully select the type of lamp used and it must have a double square to show it does not need an earth.

Well, there are earth wires.
They were all inter-twinned together & I couldn't untwine them, so I cut them & taped it up with the green insulating tape you see on the wiring.

The Earths were all bare copper wire too, so will have to sleeve it properly before reconnection.

So, I can double-up on black/red wires, or twine them into one, then put in connector block?

Many thanks,

Pete

Sponsored Links
A good electrician should be able to get all those wires to fit neatly into ceiling roses.

However, cutting the earth wires has not helped you at all, as you will have to find some valuable slack in the cable to re-instate them. Leaving them twisted and connected to the earth terminal would have been better. You must make sure you re-connect every earth wire.

I take it you haven't made a note of how these lights were connected. You should have done. If any of the lights come on together by the same switch then this will have to be considered when connecting them back up.

There is no problem putting two wires in a terminal hole on the new ceiling rose.

good luck ;)
Thanks mate :)

A good electrician should be able to get all those wires to fit neatly into ceiling roses.

Thanks for your reply mate.

Well, I'm gonna give it a go :)

However, cutting the earth wires has not helped you at all, as you will have to find some valuable slack in the cable to re-instate them. Leaving them twisted and connected to the earth terminal would have been better. You must make sure you re-connect every earth wire.
Yes, I know I shouldn't have cut the earth wires, but they stopped me tidying up the area a bit.
There is quite a bit of slack in the wires, so should be able to reinstate them ok.

I take it you haven't made a note of how these lights were connected. You should have done. If any of the lights come on together by the same switch then this will have to be considered when connecting them back up.
No, I didn't.
I realise that was a bit stupid of me now, but we needed the electricity back on quickly that day, so just pulled them out & terminated them.

There is no problem putting two wires in a terminal hole on the new ceiling rose.
Cool, thanks for that.
Wasn't sure if I could or not, but then again, I suppose they would only share the power going through them.
Was worried about overloading it, but then thought how is was when I took them out. All Blacks in 1 terminal, all Reds in another etc.

I'll find the switched live tomorrow, then get on with tidying it all up.

Many thanks for your help.

Regards,

Pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back