1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Census

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Harry Bloomfield, 9 Mar 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I had the explanatory leaflet pushed through the door last week and the actual census letter delivered yesterday, by hand, rather than by the postie...

The letter has a 16 digit code, you go online to actually fill the census in, armed with the code, or you can ring an 0800 for a paper form, or help with form filling. I don't ever remember having filled in a census form with so many questions before. Some of the more searching questions about gender are optional to answer, though I rather suspect the answers given may not be always be entirely honest - so why bother asking?

My form filling was fairly straightforward, but even so it took rather longer to complete than they suggested it might take, but you can pause the form filling and go back to it later. It asks that you complete the form based on your reasonable assumption of who will actually be living in your home on the 21st March - some have interpreted that to mean you cannot actually complete the form until the 21st.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler

Thanks Received:
    France
    It's meant to be a snapshot of who is where, etc on 21st March. It doesn't matter if you fill it in before or afterwards, as long as it's accurate for the 21st.
    The data is anonymised for 100 years.

4. Ihavenojob

Ihavenojob

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Is it just a box tick thing ? If so, just tick any box.

• Like Like x 2
  5. motorbiking

motorbiking

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have to say it was one of the most stupid survey designs I’ve ever come across. It was as complex as the passenger locator form that was rolled out last year and took ages. I can only assume it was designed by the same cretins.

6. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It was a mix of ticking boxes and some type written replies to questions.

That sounds most unlike the form I completed. The one I filled in was extremely well designed, much slicker and better than I expected.

7. EFLImpudence

EFLImpudence

Thanks Received:
    Portugal
  8. Ronob

Ronob

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    With regards to incorrect completion, making things up, giving inappropriate answers etc.. can I just point out that in 100 years time - long after you and I are in the ground - your future ancestors will be able to access these census forms to help with researching their family tree (it’s a valuable tool for this purpose), you could really frustrate your ancestors and / or look a right plonker!

• Like Like x 1
  9. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I read that. Im still not clear exactly what the issue was, and I'm totally baffled that someone felt the need (and had the money) to take the government to court about a question on a census about "what sex are you?" o_O

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sponsored Links
  11. ellal

ellal

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Previously when a hard copy had to be filled in and returned, on non compliance there were apparently repeated knocks on a door (at great expense) before they gave up...

Should one not wish to take part in the 10 year 'herd round up', how are the government stooges going to chase up those who refuse to fill in an online form?

12. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    For the straight forward member of the population, the questions and required answers were very straight forward.

13. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Well if the sex question is any more than two options (none of which being "yes please" or "three times a week") then I will struggle.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ellal

ellal

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    So do you believe there is no right to question an official document if you believe it to be incorrect?

15. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If the "what sex are you?" has more than two options then yes it's fundametally incorrect, but I'd just tick the nearest one that applies and move on with my life.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Doug99

Doug99

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    ONS has a full list of households against which to check off all completed online forms.

17. ellal

ellal

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    So you don't believe in the equality act?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.